Combine two family files?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Kirsten

Combine two family files?

Post by Kirsten » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:59 pm

If I decide - for my own sanity while entering data - to keep two separate family files, one for my mother's side and one for my father's -

can I later without too much trouble and risk combine them into one iFamily file?

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Kirsten,

I have not done this myself but the instructions look as though you should be able to do what you want>

Try this:

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/vie ... ight=merge

Regards,

Nigel

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 am

Thank you, Nigel,

I will think about whether I'd rather work in one big, file and need to split it to share later or work in two and need to merge.

Which would you choose?

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 am

Hi Kirsten,

I don't know if it is best or not but I have my wife's and my family trees all in one database.

I don't seem to have any problems with it and it is only about 2.5 Mbytes in size.

But, I only have some 1225 people in my trees and the more you have the more it may slow down the application (though I believe it would have to be at least 10 times that number to be significant).

You can split a database later if it grows too much or combine if you start with two and wish to merge them.

Others may have a different experience but I would stick with one database.

Regards,

Nigel

4x4x4

Post by 4x4x4 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi Kirsten,

I tried doing 2 databases when I began but I found it frustrating swopping between the 2.

I now have one database with over 10,000 people and don't find it slow or annoying and my sanity stays intact because it is easy to search for whoever you want rather than having to close one database to use another.

Regards
4x4x4

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you, Nigel and 4x4x4,

I had not so much anticipated a slowing of the application by having too many people in a family file.

I was more thinking that it might be easier for me to retain clarity of which line I am working with if there are two separate files.
Also easier maybe that way to share via GEDCOM without having to split.
But maybe I'd down the line get tired of the two files like you did, 4x4x4...

That of course would mean having to merge should I decide I'd like it all combined.

Frankly either splitting later or merging later depending on which way I go - both seem a bit scary. Like - do the carefully entered source references really follow where referenced? - that is just one concern I am clear on. The rest of concern is just vague scared of unknown...

I'm still vaccillating... but will soon have to decide one way or the other.

Wonder if anyone else wants to weigh in...

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Kirsten wrote:Like - do the carefully entered source references really follow where referenced?
The duplication of sources and source references are a discrete step in an iFamily Merge and will migrate to the target database in total.

By combinations of using the Index button to switch between personalities and using the views afforded by Ancestors and Descendants diagrams you will gain the necessary famialiarity to navigate large databases with some practice.

If you ever wish to have only one side of your database, (in order toe send to someone else), the easiest way is to make a copy of the FtkSql file using finder, rename it then open it and use "Prune Minor Dynasties".

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 am

Warwick Wilson wrote:
The duplication of sources and source references are a discrete step in an iFamily Merge and will migrate to the target database in total.

By combinations of using the Index button to switch between personalities and using the views afforded by Ancestors and Descendants diagrams you will gain the necessary famialiarity to navigate large databases with some practice.

If you ever wish to have only one side of your database, (in order toe send to someone else), the easiest way is to make a copy of the FtkSql file using finder, rename it then open it and use "Prune Minor Dynasties".
Warwick,

How very reassuring about behavior of sources on a merge.

You make it sound very doable to arrive at a section of file to send to someone else when the time comes.

I look forward to gaining familiarity through practice and think I'm well on my way. Thanks!

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Warwick Wilson wrote: By combinations of using the Index button to switch between personalities and using the views afforded by Ancestors and Descendants diagrams you will gain the necessary famialiarity to navigate large databases with some practice.
Warwick -

I just wanted to post that these comments of yours for navigating were very helpful. I am embarrassed to admit that I had not discovered the Ancestors and Descendants buttons on my own...