Working with sources

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Jeffery

Working with sources

Post by Jeffery » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:09 am

I have a few questions concerning working with sources:
1. When the "sources" tab is activated for the focal person, the headings for the sources include: No., source description, page ref., topic, N*.
What does N* represent?
2. can the columns referred to above be adjusted, or is there some other way to include with the source information, clarification of whether the source includes a picture? It would be nice to be able to quickly look at the source item and see if a document picture was available for the source. Otherwise, as far as can tell, you have to open "edit source" to see that there is an image file attached to the source.
3. Can a source be renumbered to move it up in the list of sources?

thank you!
Jeff

dennisb

Sources

Post by dennisb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 am

Jeffrey,
1. The N* column has either a * or is <blank>, depending on whether there are notes entered for that source, or not. This * standard works throughout iFamily. So, if you see a Notes* you know that person has Notes, etc. Same for Comments, Sources, Pictures, and Story (but not for Events).
2. You can check with Warwick, but I think the answer is that you don't know that a source contains a picture unless you "Edit Source". Of course you could put in the notes field that a picture exists.
3. You might think that going to Source > Add/Edit > "Renumber All" would renumber to the order you specify by clicking on a column heading to re-order to sort on that column. It doesn't. Rather, it keeps the order you created the sources, but "fills" in gaps for any sources that you had subsequently deleted or merged. If the source number order is important to you, you might consider placing an enhancement request.
Dennis

Jeffery

Post by Jeffery » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 am

dennisb,
thanks for your reply.

Regarding my question 1. If I choose a key person, below that person I click "sources*" and see the various sources for that person. I can see examples of a source where there is an * under the N* column and examples without the *. However, I am unable to distinguish any difference between the two sources regarding the presence or absence of notes. Regardless of the presence or absence of the * in the N* column, I see details I typed into the "notes" box in the bottom left hand corner of the "edit source" window, showing up under the column labeled "source description". I must be misunderstanding something about how source notes works. Any further explanation would be appreciated.
thanks in advance for hanging in there with me as I try to understand the mechanics here,
Jeff
Jeff

dennisb

Notes for this Reference and N*

Post by dennisb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:22 am

Jeffrey,

Ah, I wasn't clear. The * shows up in the N* column in a person's Sources when there are notes FOR THEIR ENTRY of that source, as shown in the "Notes for this Reference" at the right side of that screen. I'm not sure that is needed, since I set the column width to always show the "Notes for this Reference" field, and I can easily see whether I've placed a note there or not. There may be a reason for the N* column that I'm not aware of.

I'm guessing you wanted to see something on this screen for an individual showing whether there are either Notes or a Picture in the Source itself, as accessed now only by going to Sources Add/Edit? I don't see that function. If it's important to you, you might consider an enhancement request.
Dennis