Problem opening iFamily Database

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
ctrunfree

Problem opening iFamily Database

Post by ctrunfree » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:18 am

In the last couple of days I have started to get the following error message when opening iFamily:

"The File "NEAL.FtkSql" couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format"

iFamily then goes on to open as normal, but I'm worried that something might be seriously amiss. It has only seemed to be a problem since a kernel panic system closedown a few days ago. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Any thoughts

Peter Neal

PhilR

Re: Problem opening iFamily Version 2.532

Post by PhilR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 am

ctrunfree wrote:In the last couple of days I have started to get the following error message when opening iFamily:

"The File "NEAL.FtkSql" couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format"

Any thoughts

Peter Neal
Hi Peter - I'm definitely no iFamily expert but it couldn't hurt to select "Backup Current Database..." under the "File" menu and give it a different name that is recognisable by you. (I tend to use names like "Foozle" etc). Once you've done that quit iFamily and launch your backed up file and see how it goes. Hopefully the backup won't have dire warnings associated with it and if that is the case it's up to you from there - rename it to a slightly different name so that you can continue with the newer database. I would tend to keep the troublesome database around for awhile until you are completely happy that all is well with your new one.

rgds Phil

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks Phil, I'll try that but to me it looks like Snow Leopard is having a problem initially identifying the file extension, which won't change with a change of file name.

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:19 am

Can any of the iFamily support people assist on this one?

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 am

I forgot to ad that I backed up the file but even with the new file name I still get the error message, although both original and backed up file then go on to open as normal- it just gives me a heart attack every time I see that error message!

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 am

Hi cfruntree,

Can you please send the NEAL.FtkSql file as an email attachment to support@ifamilyformac.com (If it is under 10MB). You will be able to find the file in your iFamilyData folder in your user home directory.

Otherwise, if it is larger than 10MB, please send an email anyway and we will sort out how to get a copy of the database.

Regards,
Warwick.

ctrunfree

Post by ctrunfree » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am

Hi Warwick

Have just done so. Would be interested to know what the bug is.

ctrunfree

Re: Problem opening iFamily Database

Post by ctrunfree » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Warwick

Just wondered if you had any thoughts about this problem, which still persists after many OSX upgrades, new laptops and the passing of over two years!