html generation

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
fredlk

html generation

Post by fredlk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 am

As much as I love iFamily, one thing really irritates me and makes for a lot of extra work every time I add (or delete) family members.
My database contains approximately 8,000 individuals and when, after an update every other week or so, I generate the html for my website, it creates 15 html-sub-folders. The thumbnails and media files are also placed in a corresponding sub-folder. I then have to check each of the 45 sub-folders to see if there have been any movements before completing the upload. Html-01/.. might have become html-02/.. etc.
Then there is the added problem with Google. After about 1 month or so my data shows up in a Google search, but if iFamily happens to have moved the data from one sub-folder to another in the interim, then the search comes up with an error!
I hope somebody out there understands what I&#39m on about. :?
I would really be a lot happier if there was just one html-directory and just one thumbnail-directory and just one as well for media.
Fred.

Tom

RE: html generation

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:47 pm

I agree and it presents an additional challenge when the site is written in PHP.
Tom

Tom

RE: html generation

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 pm

An alternative to iFamily&#39s HTML generation feature is TNG, which eliminates the creation of myriad HTML files altogether. I&#39ve been considering this myself as the author claims that it will integrate well with WordPress. TNG is also platform independent although it will only work with a MySQL database. At any rate, it is worth investigating.
Tom

fredlk

Re: RE: html generation

Post by fredlk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for the tips... but I think you&#39re losing me. :oops:
I&#39m no techno-geek and so I am quite happy with having it all in one programme. And as far as I am aware, my hosting is not MySQL.

fredlk

Re: html generation

Post by fredlk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 am

Still no reply?

Tom

re: html generation

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:59 pm

More information regarding your hosting service might help. Also, it seems to me the inactivity and lack of response regarding posts indicates the same with regard to the development of the software. I&#39ve brought this up before and my response like others I&#39ve posted will be swiftly removed rather than be appropriately addressed for all of us who have purchased iFamily.
Tom

fredlk

Re: re: html generation

Post by fredlk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I don&#39t understand how my hosting service particulars could solve the problem of multiple directories. If you can, please explain.

Tom

re: html generation

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Many, if not most, hosting sites offer MySQL, PHP as part of the service, this is not the case with something such as MobileMe for example. So you may have access to MySQL and PHP both of which are needed to use TNG software. I realize this has nothing to do with the HTML options currently available with iFamily. I was merely offering an alternative to your current situation. In a certain sense anything more intricate than merely generating HTML is beyond the scope of the software. Generating and uploading the HTML output can become rather complex, especially if one expects the software to make incremental updates instead of replacing all of the files each time a change in made to the database, html generated, and uploaded to one&#39s website; it is for just this reason I suggested giving TNG a look.
Tom

fredlk

Post by fredlk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Maybe TNG would be good but to have to change quite a few steps in the process just to compensate for too many directories generated in iFamily seems the wrong way to go about it. I am still waiting and hoping for a solution within iFamily.

NTJ

Post by NTJ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 am

and, as Tom already mentioned, it would be be nice to have a solution, answer or even some tentative timeline for the other requests for enhancement that are languishing in the discussion forum...