Problem with GEDCOM export and step parents

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Bouscram

Problem with GEDCOM export and step parents

Post by Bouscram » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi.
I have a problem with step parents when exporting data. This happens for my on 2 different websites : when there are step parents, links are not correctly interpreted, and all children are connected to one of the husband or wife (maybe the first one or the one with the smallest ID), regardless of if it is a natural or a step parent.

There has been a thread about this in 2008, in which the answer was to remove the custom tags, but it doesn't seem to work for me (I have exactly the same result). I don't see myself remove all of the step parents relations manually, so I think an option not to export these would be nice (if there is no other solution to correct this)

[edit : I had submitted a post about the same problem one year 1/2 ago (http://www.ifamilyformac.com/forums/vie ... ?f=7&t=974), you said you would investigate, but it seems the problem is still here.]

Bouscram

Re: Problem with GEDCOM export and step parents

Post by Bouscram » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Warwick.

This has been nearly one year (but much more if I count my original message) that I have reported this problem, with no answer. This is *REALLY* annoying, because I can't export data in a reliable way...

I can send you a file if you need data.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Bouscram wrote:Hi Warwick.

This has been nearly one year (but much more if I count my original message) that I have reported this problem, with no answer. This is *REALLY* annoying, because I can't export data in a reliable way...

I can send you a file if you need data.
Some data would be great. Please send the FtkSql database in question to my email account support@ifamilyformac.com and I will do an export.

Please also let me know if you have been able to manually edit parts of the Gedcom to allow it to upload correctly.

I am often apprehensive to make changes to the Gedcom. There are so many implementations out there, each with their own quirks, that fixing the export for one often breaks it for another. The best I can offer with a one size fits all export is that it adheres to the standard as closely as possible and in exceptional circumstances and where possible to make allowances for the larger players. Please mention which websites in particular it is that are causing you the grief in your return email.

Bouscram

Post by Bouscram » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:58 pm

I sent the file yesterday. As it is quite big, tell me if it wasn't lost in the transfer.

Bouscram

Post by Bouscram » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Some news : I have reset iFamily export parameters to defaults, then unchecked "Include custom tags", and now the import to Geneanet works mostly fine. But there are still errors.

I have then re-tested with Gramps which interprets correctly the file, but indicates numerous "multiple parents" when running the data validation tool.
My guess is that there are surnumerous FAMC attributes, leftovers from the custom _FREL or _MREL attributes. For instance, a child from a first wedding bears also the FAMC attribute from the later "families" of his mother or father.
This is consistant with the FAM descriptions at the end of the file, CHIL attributes are duplicated. Here is an example:

0 @F143@ FAM
1 HUSB @I339@
1 WIFE @I5@
1 CHIL @I275@
1 CHIL @I276@
1 CHIL @I340@

In this example, I275 and I276 are not children of I339 but of the previous husband of I5, as can be seen here:

0 @F120@ FAM
1 HUSB @I274@
1 WIFE @I5@
1 CHIL @I275@
1 CHIL @I276@
1 DIV
2 TYPE Divorced

As you can see, I340 has not been included in this family.

When the surnumerous attributes are removed, everything is fine.