Importing Gedcom into Existing Database

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

I haven't found a way to read a gedcom into an existing database. Can it be done?

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

A Gedcom file cannot be loaded directly into an existing database.

You must:

Step 1. Load the Gedom file into an empty database and then

Step 2. Merge the data from one database to another.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by GrantAxton

How come you can not compare and merge children between two files. Seems in the merge page that you can merge all information EXCEPT children. Is there away around that?
Grant

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by perthling

You can either merge up (add parent or spouse and their ancestors), or merge down (add child and their descendants). The way I've had to get around this is to do multiple merges at each generation. e.g. merge father and ancestors go to gr-father, merge father's siblings one by one go to gr-gr-father, and mer gr-father's siblings one by one... don't know if there's an easier way. After that's done, I plan to use the 'compare and merge' feature to isolate whether anyone on source database is not yet included on target database. ~Luke

Terry Levett

Merging

Post by Terry Levett » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 am

I&#39m new to iFamily (but not genealogy) so excuse naivety but do I gather from above postings that I can not merge two similar files without checking out every person that is not identical on both files, something I could do on Family Historian without problems. I tend to do all my searching on Ancestry using their auto search ( with extreme caution I may add) and download a Gedcom to update my computer program all the checking hopefully being sorted out before I download. I have not yet found how to do this yet on iFamily, can anyone advise please. If this is not possible I will have to go back to F.H. and the P.C. (gloom)