Some events didn't load from Reunion GEDCOM

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 am

Originally posted by Karen

I have many instances where not all of my " notes" have loaded into my iFamily. Some did, but the majority did not. Is there a reason why this is happening? All are labeled in the GED 1 EVEN / 2 TYPE Census .... Can you tell me how I can fix this. I don't want to go through almost 1100 pages of GED document to pick out all the data that didn't make it to iFamily. I have attached the window with the type of information I am talking about. Regards, Karen

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:30 am

Hi Karen

It depends on which version of Reunion you are using. Some versions of Reunion generate Gedcom records that do not conform to the Gedcom 5.5 Standard. iFamily handles most of Reunion's non-conforming records but there may be some, from the version of Reunion that you are using, that we have not seen before. Please send me a copy of the Gedcom file for analysis.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi Karen

I have inspected the Reunion9 Gedcom file that you sent me and iFamily has imported all of the information that was in the Gedcom file except for a few very minor omissions related to a few records that are not correctly tagged.

All of the records tagged 1 EVEN / 2 TYPE Census ... have been correctly imported into iFamily.

In your Gedcom file there are non-conforming records tagged as CSTA, PURC and CAUS. All of these should be prefixed with an underscore because thay are not defined in Gedcom 5.5 Standard. In the header record of the Gedcom file it says that the file is Gedcom 5.5 compliant - it is not.

iFamily has recognised the three non-conforming INDI.PURC records as Events and has imported them as events.

iFamily has accepted the six non-conforming INDI.CAUS (cause of death) records and loaded them correctly but it has logged and error in the file called UnprocessedGedRecs.txt

iFamily has ignored the 49 non-conforming INDI.CSTA records. These contain the following text:
Adopted, &quot Died as Child&quot , &quot Died as Infant&quot , Illegitimate, Retarded or Twin

All of the Event Notes from the Gedcom file have been imported into iFamily. To view this information select the Events pane in the lower half of the main window - and click on the check box for &quot Multiline Notes&quot . In the RH column in the Events pane you can click in the Source column to display the Source references for each event.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:48 am

Karen wrote:I have many instances where not all of my " notes" have loaded into my iFamily. Some did, but the majority did not. Is there a reason why this is happening? All are labeled in the GED 1 EVEN / 2 TYPE Census .... Can you tell me how I can fix this. I don't want to go through almost 1100 pages of GED document to pick out all the data that didn't make it to iFamily. I have attached the window with the type of information I am talking about. Regards, Karen
Hi Karen

I am sorry but my original analysis of the Gedcom file was incomplete. The following error was reported by iFamily but I overlooked it in my previous response.

There is a structural error in the Reunion9 Gedcom file that should be reported to Reunion as follows:

A number of records appear such as the following:

0 @N833@ NOTE
1 CONT She had an illegitimate son ....
2 SOUR @S94@
3 PAGE 6 Aug 2007 email

The above should be as follows:

0 @N833@ NOTE
1 CONT She had an illegitimate son ....
1 SOUR @S94@
2 PAGE 6 Aug 2007 email

All of the above errors occur for Source references to Individual's Notes records.

iFamily already knows about the error in the SOUR record (from Reunion8) and knows how to import the SOUR record but has not been taught how to handle the subsequent PAGE record. so the Source Reference has been imported but not the value of the PAGE record.

Please report the problem to Reunion. It may have been already corrected in a version that is later than the one you are using. There are 7 instances of this error, here is what iFamily reported in its log file called UnprocessGedRecs.txt:
  • Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 42553. The record was: 3 PAGE David Wilsonís email
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 42557. The record was: 3 PAGE David Wilsonís emails
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 43029. The record was: 3 PAGE 6 Aug 2007 email
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 43221. The record was: 3 PAGE Some of this information is incorrect.
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 43437. The record was: 3 PAGE 21 May 2006 - abc@abc.net
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 43463. The record was: 3 PAGE PORTASS message board - 14 Jul 2006 -- Name and email address
    Record ignored because of inconsistent levels in Gedcom file at line 43465. The record was: 3 PAGE Portass board 14 Jul 2006 - an email address
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 am

Originally posted by Karen

I will report the problem to Reunion. Thank you for that report. Is this reason many of my census notes didn't make it over to the iFamily application? I am running Reunion 9.07 - I just checked for " updates" and it says I have the latest version.

Thank you,
Karen

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 am

Hi Karen,

Other than the small number of non-conforming records that I mentioned in my previous 2 posts iFamily has correctly loaded what was in the Gedcom file. Maybe there was some data that was not written to the Gedcom file. I will send you an email asking for additional information.

Here is a list of the Reunion 8 amd 9 Gedcom tags that do not conform to the Gedcom 5.5 Standard. iFamily currently handles them all except for INDI.ALIA.SOUR, FAM.UMAR, FAM.CLAW, FAM.CHIL.CSTA. All of these Tags should be prefixed by an underscore, as in " SOUR._CALN" , to comply with the Gedcom 5.5 Standard.
  • SOUR.CALN " Call Number"
    SOUR.CPLR " Compiler"
    SOUR.CNTC " Contact Person"
    SOUR.COPR " Copyright"
    SOUR.DATE " Date"
    SOUR.DATV " Date Viewed"
    SOUR.DETA " Detail"
    SOUR.EDTN " Edition"
    SOUR.EDTR " Editor"
    SOUR.FILE " File Name"
    SOUR.FILN " File Number"
    SOUR.FILM " Film Number"