Exported Gedcom does not include source location?

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:04 am

Originally posted by nakedbear

I have tried exporting to Gedcom for loading up to ancestry.com and also PAF and Reunion. I had unchecked export custom tags. All programs import ok, but when I look at the file on ancestry.com or in Reunion or PAF, the repositories are empty. What am I doing wrong?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:17 am

nakedbear wrote:I have tried exporting to Gedcom for loading up to ancestry.com and also PAF and Reunion. I had unchecked export custom tags. All programs import ok, but when I look at the file on ancestry.com or in Reunion or PAF, the repositories are empty. What am I doing wrong?
Hi Scott
The way that the Gedcom 5.5 Standard handles Sources is a bit iffy. The way that various genealogy apps handle Source records is also a bit iffy. The way that various programs handle Repository records is even iffier (iffier is actually in my spell checker!!)

iFamily exports the Location data as a Custom Tag _LOCN so if you have Custom Tags deactivated then _LOCN will not be included in the Gedcom file.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:49 am

I have tried it with custum tags on and off and still it does not export them to Reunion, PAF, or Ancestry.com. This is a problem as it means we can't export to other programs, without losing important data. Perhaps we could change the name of the lcn tab to one used in the other problems. All three of them load the repository info and export it to other programs just fine. I have spent days fooling around trying programs to replace my PAF experience, now that I am on a MAC. I realize they that they all use custom tags, but I feel that the repository is crucial and ifamily seems to be the only one that can't do it.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:56 am

Hi Scott

I will have a look at giving the user the option to convert the _LOCN info into a suitable REPO record but it may be shark infested water. At least one of the apps that you mentioned is somewhat badly behaved (awful) regarding the way it exports Source data to a Gedcom file.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:15 am

Correction, when exporting to Reunion, it does add the custom tag LOCN to the Source information., it is still missing in PAF and ancestry.com. Publication information moves just fine, so I could move everything to there, but it is still a pain. I was looking at a Gedcom 5.5 standard sheet and they say there is a tag in the specs called REPO for repository. I wonder if that would help.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:33 am

I have so many programs I can try it in it isn't funny! I just found out that FTM will add the LOCN tag along with the information to the comments field of the source so it wiil at least save it in that program.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:28 pm

nakedbear wrote:I have so many programs I can try it in it isn't funny! I just found out that FTM will add the LOCN tag along with the information to the comments field of the source so it wiil at least save it in that program.
Hi Scott,
I have sent you V2.444 in which iFamily now exports REPO records instead of using the Custom Tag _LOCN. The REPO records are valid in accordance with Gedcom 5.5 but there are alternative structures for REPO records so some other genealogy apps may still not understand the style that iFamily uses for exporting this data.
Keith