Two questions: Adding another gedcom and merging

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Originally posted by retiredvrs

Question 1: When I merged and compared two databases, the report showed the people in the two were identical but listed differences which were only that in one database the family name was all uppercase and in the other database the initial letter was capitalized. In the future, is there a way to indicate that the difference in the cases should be ignored when merging - or does it make any matter?

Question 2: Do I understand correctly that when merging and comparing two databases, if there are additional families and/or persons in a family in the source database, those families and those persons are automatically added to the target database and those who are already in the target database are not added?

Thanks for your help.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm

retiredvrs wrote:Question 1: When I merged and compared two databases, the report showed the people in the two were identical but listed differences which were only that in one database the family name was all uppercase and in the other database the initial letter was capitalized. In the future, is there a way to indicate that the difference in the cases should be ignored when merging - or does it make any matter?

Question 2: Do I understand correctly that when merging and comparing two databases, if there are additional families and/or persons in a family in the source database, those families and those persons are automatically added to the target database and those who are already in the target database are not added?

Thanks for your help.
A1. If you find that the Family names are not uniform, i.e. that some are uppercase (eg JONES) and some are capitalised (eg Jones) then you should 'regularise' both databases before merging, The simplest way to do this is to use menu option People - Family Names and press the " Uppercase All" or " Capitalise All" button.

A2. When you merge people from one (source) database into a another (target) database - if iFamily finds a person in the source database who looks like he/she already exists in the target database then iFamily will ask you what to do. If you tell iFamily to ignore that person then iFamily will ignore that person plus all subsequent people in that chain of people. For instance, if you are merging a branch of descendants and your receive a warning that Fred JONES is a possible duplicate of someone in the target database AND you tell iFamily not to merge Fred JONES into the target database THEN Fred and all of his children, grandchildren, etc will be ignored and will not get merged into the target database.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 pm

" For instance, if you are merging a branch of descendants and your receive a warning that Fred JONES is a possible duplicate of someone in the target database AND you tell iFamily not to merge Fred JONES into the target database THEN Fred and all of his children, grandchildren, etc will be ignored and will not get merged into the target database."

If Fred and his children are in the target base but his grandchildren, etc., are not and you want to add them, how do you get the grandchildren, etc., merged?

Thanks for your help and information.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:17 pm

retiredvrs wrote:For instance, if you are merging a branch of descendants and your receive a warning that Fred JONES is a possible duplicate of someone in the target database AND you tell iFamily not to merge Fred JONES into the target database THEN Fred and all of his children, grandchildren, etc will be ignored and will not get merged into the target database."

If Fred and his children are in the target base but his grandchildren, etc., are not and you want to add them, how do you get the grandchildren, etc., merged?

Thanks for your help and information.
1. You open both databases

2. In the Source database you select one of Fred's grandchildren to be the Selected Person in the Context Diagram in the top half of the main window.

3. In the Target database you make the appropriate child of Fred the Focal Person, e.g. the grandchild's father is now the Focal Person.

4. In the Target database you Right Click on the Ghost Box for the child (i.e. Fred's missing grandchild)

5. You merge the grandchild (of Fred) + any of his/her descendants into the Target database.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, instructions and help. I appreciate your patience.

Vernon

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:40 pm

retiredvrs wrote:Thanks for the reply, instructions and help. I appreciate your patience.Vernon
There are more instructions in FAQ's at http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/YaB ... 1179122591

Keith