Why can't I upload a GedCom file to Genes Reunited

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Originally posted by Roger

As I use ifamily as my main application I also use GenesReunited as a tool to research my tree with hot links, and also it is compatible to relatives who own PC's not Mac. However when I try to upload a GedCom file to Genesre it fails and I notice that it states that you are only able to upload " one GedCom per registartion" in the FAQS. Does this mean that you are only able to upload once then that's it?? Or is it due to this blurb ....

" It must be exported as a gedcom 5.5 with the character set ANSI. Once you have done that you can try to re-load it."

I suspect that I am only allowed the one time but cannot believe it! I guess that's why we all use iFamily!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Roger wrote:As I use ifamily as my main application I also use GenesReunited as a tool to research my tree with hot links, and also it is compatible to relatives who own PC's not Mac. However when I try to upload a GedCom file to Genesre it fails and I notice that it states that you are only able to upload " one GedCom per registartion" in the FAQS. Does this mean that you are only able to upload once then that's it?? Or is it due to this blurb ....

" It must be exported as a gedcom 5.5 with the character set ANSI. Once you have done that you can try to re-load it."

I suspect that I am only allowed the one time but cannot believe it! I guess that's why we all use iFamily!
Hi Roger

iFamily for Leopard exports a Gedcom 5.5 format file using UTF-8 encoding rather than ANSI encoding.

You should turn OFF Indented Gedcom Lines and Include Custom Tags before generating the iFamily Gedcom file.

Use TextEdit to edit the Gedcom file created by iFamily for Leopard. Use TextEdit to do this because it will strip the 3 character quasi " Byte Order Mark" at the start of the iFamily Gedcom file.

Change line 14 of the iFamily Gedcom file to read 1 CHAR ANSI instead of 1 CHAR UTF-8

Save the iFamily Gedcom file and see if it can now be uploaded to Genes-Reunited.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks Keith but it didn't seem to work. I didn't receive any confirmation that it had uploaded ok. However upon some research into a previous posting I find that I asked the same question some time ago but forgot. The answer seems to be that if you upload to Genes via Firefox and not Safari as I had been doing it seems to register ok. I am now waiting for a confirmation email to say that it has uploaded satisfactory.

Just a suggestion but it might be worth while to include this in the FAQS as there must be many others who have tried this and failed and not know why.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:48 pm

Roger wrote:Thanks Keith but it didn't seem to work. I didn't receive any confirmation that it had uploaded ok. However upon some research into a previous posting I find that I asked the same question some time ago but forgot. The answer seems to be that if you upload to Genes via Firefox and not Safari as I had been doing it seems to register ok. I am now waiting for a confirmation email to say that it has uploaded satisfactory.

Just a suggestion but it might be worth while to include this in the FAQS as there must be many others who have tried this and failed and not know why.
I have added the instructions for uploading to Genes Reunited to FAQs.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Originally posted by curriouscat
The answer seems to be that if you upload to Genes via Firefox and not Safari as I had been doing it seems to register ok.
I have a similar issue when loading to Ancestry. It always fails when using Safari, but works OK with Firefox.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:10 am

Originally posted by pewterpot

I concur with curiouscat. Use the Firefox browser also when navigating your tree on Genes. Much faster and more exact )

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 am

curriouscat wrote:
The answer seems to be that if you upload to Genes via Firefox and not Safari as I had been doing it seems to register ok.
I have a similar issue when loading to Ancestry. It always fails when using Safari, but works OK with Firefox.
pewterpot wrote:I concur with curiouscat. Use the Firefox browser also when navigating your tree on Genes. Much faster and more exact )
Yes,...... but did you both edit as Keith says prior to uploading or not? Or is this editing confined to Genes Reunited only?