Separating Gedcom's

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Originally posted by pewterpot

My tree includes my wife and myself ancestors dating back to the late 1600's.

Using Neo Office and the reports function in iFamily is great. I can produce a report for my wife and her ancestors which is most clear and completely separate from my own.

However, what I would like to do is to produce a 'standalone' .ged for my wife and her 600 ancestors in iFamily. In other words to give my wife a separate family tree that she would be able to send to others in her family. Is this at all possible?

I don't hold out too much hope, but I thought that if 'Reports' could do it maybe, just maybe, it would be possible.

I have done a search through the Forum search facility, but I have only come up with the 'Merging' processes. Not exactly what I am after.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Originally posted by NigelRichman

Hi,

As far as I can tell, iFamilyforTiger already allows you to do that. But it is not a report.

Select your wife as the focal person

File Menu - Gedcom Export - Focal person and Ancestors

New export generated with name based on old file.

Nigel

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I have had a look previously at that Nigel. It may well do the job with the focal person and all the descendants, but the window is not clear whether it will save to the different name.
It shows my name and gedcom FtkSql. Therefore I am apprehensive about doing it because I don't want to corrupt my original with a load of duplicates.
Where does it Export to, and does it actually make a second gedcom?

Thanks for the reply

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Originally posted by NigelRichman

Hi pewterpot,

Yes it does make a new gedcom file with the same name as the iFamily database (except the extension is .ged rather than .ftksql) It will not overwrite the main file or any previous export (it will add a 1, 2, 3 etc as I understand it).

It saves the file into the ~user/iFamilyforTiger folder (where the other reports etc are stored).

You can change the file name afterwards to one of your choice (your wife's maiden name I guess).

Nigel

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Thanks Nigel. I will give it a go on the morrow when I have more time, and will let you know of course.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Separating Gedcom's

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:53 am

pewterpot wrote:My tree includes my wife and myself ancestors dating back to the late 1600's.

Using Neo Office and the reports function in iFamily is great. I can produce a report for my wife and her ancestors which is most clear and completely separate from my own.

However, what I would like to do is to produce a 'standalone' .ged for my wife and her 600 ancestors in iFamily. In other words to give my wife a separate family tree that she would be able to send to others in her family. Is this at all possible?

I don't hold out too much hope, but I thought that if 'Reports' could do it maybe, just maybe, it would be possible.

I have done a search through the Forum search facility, but I have only come up with the 'Merging' processes. Not exactly what I am after.
Hi Derek

" I don't hold out too much hope"

- Oh ye of little faith, here are two different solutions.

To create a Gedcom file that contains your wife and all her Relatives but excludes you and all your ancestors.
  • 1. Make a backup of your iFamily database using File - Backup Current Database
  • 2. Quit from iFamily and restart iFamily - this will clear the Undo Stack and give you a new, empty Undo Stack.
  • 3. Make yourself the Focal Person of the Context diagram.
  • 4. Right Click on yourself and select Disconnect Person... from the pop-up menu.
  • 5. Disconnect your children and then your wife - you no longer have a wife nor any children - you are now a bachelor again. If your wife had previous husbands you may need to do a similar disconnect on them as well.
  • 6. Enter your wife's name in the Search field at the RH end of the Toolbar and select her to be the Focal Person.
  • 7. Use menu option Reports - Dynasties and make sure that you and your wife have no other connections - i.e. that you are in separate Dynasties. This is to ensure that you have not married someone to whom you are otherwise related.
  • 8. Use menu option File - Gedcom Export - Focal Person plus all Related People

You now have a Gedcom file that contains your wife plus all people who are related to her but you and your relatives (except your children) are nowhere to be seen in the Gedcom file.
  • 9. Use Undo to undo the Disconnects

Use the Search field to find yourself, make yourself the Focal Person and check to ensure that you now have your wife and children back again.
To create a Gedcom file that contains your wife and all her Relatives including you but excluding all your ancestors.

In Step 5 above disconnect your parents rather than your wife and children. If she had previous husbands then their parents will also need to be disconnected.

Keith