Gedcom files - can I only import one??

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Originally posted by Roger

Having imported a Gedcom file some time ago successfully, I now hear that if I try to import a further or second different Gedcom file, my data from the first will be lost. Is that correct? If so is there a way to protect the data so that it only gets updated not deleted or overwritten?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Roger

Each time you Load a Gedcom file a new iFamily for Tiger database is created.

You cannot 'import a Gedcom file' directly into an existing iFamily database, nor can you 'append a Gedcom file' directly into an existing iFamily database, nor can you 'merge a Gedcom file directly' into an existing iFamily database.

Having loaded a Gedcom file into a new iFamily database you can then inspect it to see what you have, and cleanse the data.

You can then, if you need to, merge the data from one iFamily database into another iFamily database, branch by branch if you like. The branches may be branches of Ancestors or they may be branches of Descendants.

In iFamily you can have many iFamily databases open at the same time. The data in each database is entirely separate from the data in any other database, even if it is data about the same person or the same Event.

I hope the above clarifies.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Keith Wilson wrote:Hi Roger

Each time you Load a Gedcom file a new iFamily for Tiger database is created.

You cannot 'import a Gedcom file' directly into an existing iFamily database, nor can you 'append a Gedcom file' directly into an existing iFamily database, nor can you 'merge a Gedcom file directly' into an existing iFamily database.

Having loaded a Gedcom file into a new iFamily database you can then inspect it to see what you have, and cleanse the data.

You can then, if you need to, merge the data from one iFamily database into another iFamily database, branch by branch if you like. The branches may be branches of Ancestors or they may be branches of Descendants.

In iFamily you can have many iFamily databases open at the same time. The data in each database is entirely separate from the data in any other database, even if it is data about the same person or the same Event.

I hope the above clarifies.

Keith
Sorry Kieth but not quite, you lost me after Hi .........

1 When you load a Gedcom file into a " new" database where does it go and how do I view it? How do I " cleanse it" ?
2 When relatives send me files by email how can I inspect them if they are not iFamilyforTiger files such as files that have been constructed with Family Tree Maker i.e .FTW files with FTW suffix? I have one on my desktop that is saved as an MPEG file but I cannot open it.

3 You say I can merge one database into another which would be great but I don't know how to do it.

Sorry but I need a little more help please. Is there a help file I can refer to?

Many thanks
Roger

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi Roger,

If you have received a Gedcom file from someone else then

1. Save it on your hard drive somewhere

2. Start iFamily for Tiger

3. You can ignore the Family Tree that is immediately displayed or you can Close it - it makes no difference

4. Use menu option File - Gedcom Load

5. Locate the Gedcom file and press Open in the lower RH corner of the panel.

6. When the Gedcom file has been loaded it will automatically be displayed. Its name will also be added to the list of databases in File - Open Recent

7. Use menu option Reports - Data Inconsistency Report to locate any obvious errors.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks Keith - it all seems much clearer now. I now understand that you can indeed have many database files open at the same time and traverse through them all picking up info and copying and pasting as required. :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Following on with this topic now that I have the answer to the location of Gedcom files. How do I delete a Gedcom file if it is irrelevant and not required?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Originally posted by pewterpot

Hi Roger
May be a bit late for Keith in Oz.

You could have a look in Users/Name/iFamily backups and trash the one you are not using. It usually gives a time and date in there.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 am

pewterpot wrote:Hi Roger
May be a bit late for Keith in Oz.

You could have a look in Users/Name/iFamily backups and trash the one you are not using. It usually gives a time and date in there.
Afraid not. The only file in there is a backup of my main database nothing else. The database/Gedcom I want to delete is one that I imported and now do not want. Surely it can't be that difficult to delete it!

Also can you tell me what these " husband of 145 etc.." are and can I delete them please?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:43 am

Originally posted by pewterpot

Strange that, Roger

I have just created a new file using a different name and it immediately appeared in Users/Name/ etc. I dragged it to the trash with no problem. However, that new name name still appears in Open Recent under File.

I tried to replicate the Husband/Wife numbers and couldn't manage it. I would suggest that the numbers are ID numbers, although I am not sure what they mean. Have you no names for them?

I think that maybe Keith would be the one to answer that question. Sorry!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi Roger

To delete any person

1) Right Click on their box in the Context Diagram and select Delete person from the pop-up menu.

OR

2) Left click on the person and then press the Delete key.

The reason that the people called " Husband of ..." and " Wife of ..." are appearing is that the Gedcom file that you imported had errors in it that could not be resolved during import - it looks like there was a Family that had no parents - in fact it looks like the same person was a child of two such families. Please email me a copy of the Gedcom file that was imported for analysis.

Keith