Can I convert a Gedcom file to HTML for free?

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 pm

To convert a Gedcom file to HTML Web Pages you can use iFamily as follows:

Note that this process can also be used with the Demo of iFamily which can be downloaded for free.
  • Start iFamily and use menu option File -> Gedcom Load
  • Use menu option Reports -> Publish HTML Web Pages -> Generate HTML
  • Adjust the options and interactively design the web pages and test it in the Preview.
  • Set the Kinship to +0, which selects all the people in the database.
  • Press Generate All HTML Files.
  • Close the HTML Preview dialog and select Save
You may then use an FTP client such as YummyFTP to upload the parent folder plus all its sub-folders and files to the web site of your choice.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by bgiddins

Keith,

This is a very valuable feature you're giving away for free! Have you thought of limiting the HTML generation to a maximum number of individuals or a maximum number of generations? Last year I remember purchasing software on Windows specifically to generate HTML - it's a valuable " uptake" feature to convert demo users into paid users.

cheers

Ben

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Keith Wilson wrote:To convert a Gedcom file to HTML Web Pages you can use iFamily as follows:

Note that this process can also be used with the Demo of iFamily which can be downloaded for free.
  • Start iFamily and use menu option File -> Gedcom Load
  • Use menu option Reports -> Publish HTML Web Pages -> Generate HTML
  • Adjust the options and interactively design the web pages and test it in the Preview.
  • Set the Kinship to +0, which selects all the people in the database.
  • Press Generate All HTML Files.
  • Close the HTML Preview dialog and select Save
You may then use an FTP client such as YummyFTP to upload the parent folder plus all its sub-folders and files to the web site of your choice.
Keith
bgiddins wrote:Keith, This is a very valuable feature you're giving away for free! Have you thought of limiting the HTML generation to a maximum number of individuals or a maximum number of generations? Last year I remember purchasing software on Windows specifically to generate HTML - it's a valuable " uptake" feature to convert demo users into paid users. Cheers, Ben
I hate crippleware.

Keith