Gedcom Export Options including privacy

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Originally posted by Chris Knight

Keith,
When exporting a file as a gedcom, it would be useful to have more control over the exported file.

1. I should like to be able to choose the name of the file to be exported - at present iFamily just picks up the name of its own proprietary filename and appends a ged extension.

2. I should like to be able to mark individuals or bits of data as private and to choose whether or not to export these.

Chris

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Originally posted by perthling(Guest)

Agree with the private comment. Obviously I want to have complete records on my system, but when I get to exporting GEDCOM's and making a web-site (because all my family wants to view it), i'd be keen to hide 'private' information... ~Luke

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Originally posted by colindun

Has there been any progress on this? I've recently started using iFamily, but am concerned that exported GED files uploaded to Genesreuinited and Ancestry.com will include material that I don't want to make public. Is there any way of hiding selected information?

Colin

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Colin

Thanks for the heads up - I hear you - it is getting closer to the top of the ToDo list.

In the meantime all that I can suggest that your select someone who is dead (your greatGrandfather?) and export a Gedcom file for him and all his ancestors. If you have mor that one greatGrandFather then you will, of course, need to export more than one Gedcom file.

Regards, Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:29 am

Originally posted by jillaine

Another option for privatizing your GEDCOM is to upload it WorldConnect.rootsweb.com.
Rootsweb has great tools for privatizing a GEDCOM's *display*. The GEDCOM itself remains intact (which is great-- serves as a good backup system-- saved my rear end a couple of times), but what is displayed and shared is " privatized" .

See http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET& db=jillaine as an example.

or
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET& db=jss_pdb as the first iFamily GEDCOM export I just put online.

-- Jillaine