Exclude specific people from Gedcom export

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
Paul

Exclude specific people from Gedcom export

Post by Paul » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I would like to do a gedcom export of Focal Person + Descendants, but for privacy reasons wish to exclude a specific descendant plus their descendants. I can&#39t seem to find an obvious way to do this. Is it possible, and how?

Thanks,

Paul.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Paul,

There is no built in flagging in iFamily to enable exclusion of tree branches when generating reports and Gedcoms.

The easiest way to achieve what you want to do here is to make a copy of your database, delete the people that you wish to exclude, then export your Gedcom from that copy.

To copy your database use finder to locate the appropriate FtkSql in your iFamily data folder. It is probably best to delete the copy when you have finished so you don&#39t accidentally undertake work upon a duplicate tree.

Warwick.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks, Warwick.

That approach occurred to me after I posted the question. It works OK, but at least I know there isn&#39t a one-step process.

NigelRichman

Exclude Specific People from Export

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi,

I think you can also use the GEDCOM export ... Focal Person and All relatives menu option but you have to break the link between the person and spouse at the starting point.

At least I think that is how it works - I&#39m sure Keith wrote something on it - probably in the manual section.

As Warwick suggests, it is best to do this with a copy of the database just in case of problems.

I will have another look for any references of how to do it and post back if not already posted.

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 pm

OK, Found it.

Follow this link
http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/forums ... com+export

and go to the message from Keith from the 2nd July 2007.

Hope that is what you wanted.

Nigel

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks Nigel. Sorry to be so long replying. I used Warwick&#39s method initially, but will want to do the same again and this way is better.

Paul.