Trouble exporting gedcom from Family Tree Maker to iFamily.

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
edc2210

Trouble exporting gedcom from Family Tree Maker to iFamily.

Post by edc2210 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm

I am experiencing difficulty importing my GED.COM file to my recently purchased iFamily program. I am trying to transfer my file from Family Tree Maker on Windows and have followed the instructions as seen on the forum but it keeps bringing up an empty file.

I have definately selected FTM when exporting from Family Tree Maker. There is only one line to select with FTM which says "FTM for DOS -uses GEDCOM (*.GED)" and once you select that another box appears where you can select FTM, FTW and a couple of other options and I&#39ve made sure it&#39s FTM on that as well.

I have emailed support for help but they have directed me here. I&#39m moving overseas in 8 weeks so really want this program to work as I won&#39t have access to my tree otherwise!

Thanks for any help any one can give me.

Regards,
Liz.

NigelRichman

Trouble exporting from FTM to iFamily

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Liz,

First thing to check is that you are exporting the data from FTM into a .ged file.

Assuming it is called Family.ged look in Windows Explorer or in Finder (on the Mac) to see what the size of the file is. This is generally a fairly small file of 10s or 100s of kilobytes.

If it is not zero, have a look on the Mac using TextEdit (to be found in the Applications folder) and see if it has some details like:

0 HEAD
1 SOUR iFamilyForTiger
2 VERS 2.361
2 NAME iFamily for Tiger
2 CORP KS Wilson & Associates Pty Ltd
2 DATA Test
1 DATE 15 Mar 2008
2 TIME 10:54:07
1 FILE Test.GED
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 LANG ENGLISH
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME Albert /PARK/
1 SEX M
1 _FPER Y
1 BIRT
2 DATE 15 Mar 2008
2 PLAC At home
2 NOTE @EN1@
1 _OCTI Q2
0 @EN1@ NOTE
1 CONC This is a test
0 TRLR

The first few lines should reflect the Family Tree Maker program as the source rather than iFamily but it will have similar fields.

If that is all there then the import into iFamily is not working. Perhaps you can document in the list what you are doing so I (we) can help further.

If you wish to send me a PM through the Forum with the .ged file I am happy to check that it imports OK.

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks Nigel,

the problem here is that even though FTM has been selected in the gedcom export rather than FTW, Liz&#39s gedcom is still using the full length tags such as "ADDRESS" instead of "ADDR". If any users of Family Tree Maker are familiar with this problem please let us know.

Warwick.

edc2210

Post by edc2210 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 am

Thank you so much for your reply, but I think I finally figured it out! The box that appears after you click save has two boxes you can tick. One reads &#39Indent records&#39 and the other &#39Abbreviate tags&#39. However, it says above these boxes &#39Do not change these options if you are exporting this file for use in another program.&#39

But when I did select the &#39Abbreviate tags&#39 box, it brought up my file in iFamily! I&#39m very relieved. It seems to be fine, so now I can have a play at last!

Regards,
Liz.