GEDCOM export/import errors

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
BillW

Post by BillW » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I am trying to import a GEDCOM generated by iFamily for Leopard into the new Family Tree Maker for Mac. Each time I try the progress panel shows 10 errors, and after 1% has been imported Family Tree Maker crashes. Apparently it can't understand the format of the GEDCOM iFamily generates.

I have tried the default and unchecking the Include Custom Tags in Gedcom File, but nothing changes.

I did find a spelling error when I opened the GEDCOM with a text editor: "2 CONT Custom Tags genrated by iFamily for Leopard are as follows:", where "generated" is misspelled as "genrated".

Any ideas?

BillW

Post by BillW » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I forgot to include the following when I posted the query above. When I tried changing the default application for opening the GEDCOM to Family Tree Maker and double-clicked, an error message came up: "Family Tree Maker cannot open files in GEDitCOM GEDCOM format."

Is there a workaround on this or do I have to start Family Tree Maker from scratch and enter every person, comment, and source individually?

BillW

Post by BillW » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm

OK, I found a workaround. I uploaded the GEDCOM file generated by iFamily for Leopard to Ancestry.com, which accepted it, and then imported the Ancestry.com file to Family Tree Maker for Mac.

I still have a ton of work to do in importing pictures and fleshing out sources, but at least I don't have to enter nearly 4000 individuals manually.

And I like iFamily a lot better.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for letting me know, are FTM4Mac support (real people) able to tell you any information about why the Gedcom is not importing correctly?

To help diagnose the problem, it may be worth trying a Gedcom export with the "Custom tags" turned off and see if that is any help. (If you have not already done so.)

Also, has anyone else experienced a similar problem with FTM4Mac?

Thanks,
Warwick.

PS: Typo fixed.

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi Warwick,

No, the guy at FTM support couldn't help. I was the one who suggested trying to import the GEDCOM into Ancestry.com and then download that file, if Ancestry accepted it, into FTM4Mac, which worked.

I just tried turning off "Custom tags", exporting a GEDCOM file, and telling FTM to import it. It crashed again after saying there were 10 errors and that 1% of the file had been imported.

I also tried opening it with GEDitCOM. That failed too. It told me there was a corrupted file and showed the file; the error was "missing level number".

Because I could upload the file to Ancestry and then download it to FTM, the problem appears to be solved.

FTM4Mac does not allow drag and drop, among other failings. I like iFamily far, far better, and although I will continue to copy Notes and pictures from it into FTM, I will continue to use iFamily as my primary genealogy program.

alid62

gedcom export/import errors

Post by alid62 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 pm

No trouble at all importing gedcom from iFamily into FTM for Mac, customised tags on, off or whatever. All I really want FTM for is the extended family tree chart - an "all people tree" which iFamily doesn't have. Couple of nice features in it, but iFamily still well ahead in most aspects.