Gedcom

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
annemac

Gedcom

Post by annemac » Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi Warwick,

Enjoying the new version of iFamily. Would it be possible in the export gedcom menu just create a gedcom for the focal person?

I find I upload gedcoms to TNG and in some instances I may not have a particular descendant line on my website, usually at a request of the family, it would be good to just export a gedcom for the person I am working on at this time, without having to include his or her descendants in the gedcom.

Love the work

Cheers

Anne

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri May 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Anne,

You can export a gedcom for the focal person and ancestors or focal person and descendants as well as all people related to the Focal person.

Or did you mean just the focal person?

Regards,

Nigel

annemac

Post by annemac » Sat May 21, 2011 12:42 am

Hi Nigel

What I am trying to do is just an export of a gedcom for the focal person only.

For instance, I have a main man say "John" who has a whole heap of new information found, but his family members are not on my website due to a request from other family not to have their name on the website. So I want to export a gedcom of John with only his information.

I am pretty sure in earlier versions of iFamily one could do that.

Now when I export a gedcom of the focal person and export, if I don't include at least one generation then no information for the focal person ends up in the gedcom, zilch.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Anne

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sat May 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi Anne,

The best I have managed is to get focal person and spouse.

The way I did this was to select the focal person and then File...Export...Export Gedcom...Descendants of focal person only.

This brings up a requester with the name of the focal person, a list of descendants and a number of generations to be included.

Change the 100 default to 1 and then select the disclosure triangle next to the focal persons name and then select that entry. It should now just list the one person. Click on generate and you should get a gedcom file of two people (assuming one marriage).

Hope that is more what you need.

Nigel

annemac

Post by annemac » Sat May 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi Nigel

That works. Saves me then deleting unnecessary uploads to my website. Perhaps Warwick will include just the focal person as a menu selection in a later update, for now I will stick with this.

Many thanks

Cheers

Anne