Gedcom transfers from online Ancestry

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
SamPepys

Gedcom transfers from online Ancestry

Post by SamPepys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:07 pm

I use online Ancestry to search databases and to assemble and grow family trees but I can't afford to subscribe for ever. I use iFamily for the clever stuff, charts etc.

I am aware that when I transfer gedcom files to iFamily some Ancestry some data does not come across. I believe that Comments are one example, photos are another. I note that iFamily gives web addresses for photos but they don't seem to retrieve the photos.

Have you got a list of items which don't transfer from Ancestry and advice re the best way of achieving this by other routes?

My apologies if this subject has been well covered already but I couldn't find it.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Sam,

Please feel free to email your Gedcom file to support@ifamilyforleopard.com and we will endeavour to fix the comments issue, it had been working in earlier versions but ancestry.com may have changed their format slightly.

With regards to the picture links, import of images into iFamily is done via the drag and drop method. Currently, once you have downloaded the images locally, use File->Import->Import Pictures to bring up the relevant panel. We will look at automating this for http:/***.jpg images in a future release.

Please mention this in your email and we will mark it for actioning.

Regards,
Warwick.

ianmoore

Post by ianmoore » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 pm

I have multiple images on Ancestry.com - is there a way to export these images into my iFamily software?

gmd

Post by gmd » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 am

One option for downloading all material in your Ancestry.com tree is to synchronise the tree with Family Tree Maker 2 (for Mac). Your media (photos, comments, census images, etc) is downloaded to a Family Tree Maker 2 folder on your Mac. You can then transfer it to iFamily.

Family Tree Maker 2 costs AUD$99.99, and is available from http://www.ancestry.com.au/shop/ftm_mac.aspx. The most attractive aspect is that you get, included in that price, a free six month subscription to a UK Heritage Plus Membership (worth over $149, Ancestry says).

I think these prices are in AUD, but I'm not sure what membership subscription you'd be eligible for in the USA or UK. Worth having a look though!

I have used this system for just over six months now and it works superbly. I use the Ancestry tree as my working copy, then only transfer verified data into iFamily which is my master database.

ianmoore

Post by ianmoore » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 pm

What way do you transfer it to iFamily from FTM? - By a Gedcom export?

gmd

Post by gmd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 am

For larger amounts of data I do a GEDCOM export from FTM then import that file into iFamily. Then you can do appropriate merges of individuals if you want.

I haven't checked whether the FTM media is included in the GEDCOM export. However, you can copy and paste it from the FTM media folder directly into iFamily.

For small amounts of data I just retype it.