Export Gedcom

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
sfbsouth

Export Gedcom

Post by sfbsouth » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:52 pm

I am trying to export my file to gedcom and then upload and send to another person for a website. I am new to this program as well as the apple computer. I am having difficultly with trying to find out how to save the gedcom (it generates but I don't know where to find it or how to save it). Is there any instruction on this program? Thanks to anyone who can help. Also can you use gedcom to upload the pictures as well?

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:46 am

Hi,

iFamily will store generated Gedcom files by default in your iFamilyData folder as shown below:

Use Macs' Finder application (skin to explorer on windows), to locate the GED file for attaching to your email. Drag and drop is probably easiest, but there should be a paperclip button on your email client to do the same thing.

Images and Multimedia were included in the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specification, but this standard was unfortunately flawed and the industry standard which iFamily adheres to is GEDCOM specification 5.5.

When you export a GEDCOM from iFamily, (by using File->Export->Export GEDCOM->...), and click Generate, the file will be produced and saved to your iFamilyData folder. The next screen to appear is a list of the pictures referenced in your database, by clicking Export, these will be copied from your iFamilyData/Pictures directory into a zipped file in the same location as the GEDCOM which you can then email alongside your file.

Please let us know if your require any further clarifications.

Warwick.