Exporting to Gedcom

Issues and Discussions surrounding Gedcom and iFamily
mikeup

Exporting to Gedcom

Post by mikeup » Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I am trying to export a rather large file to a gedcom but each time iFamily quits before the export is complete. The progress bar suggests that the operation is almost complete and the message I see when the program quits doesn't seem to give any explanation as to the likely cause.

Is this caused by errors in my file?
If so is there a way of quickly locating these errors?

Mike

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu May 10, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Mike,

Thats not the usual or deisrable behaviour for Gedcom Export. Which OSX do you have installed?

Email me your FtkSql database from your iFamilyData folder and I will try it in debug mode at my end to identify the problem.

Regards,
Warwick.
support@ifamilyformac.com

mikeup

Exporting to Gedcom

Post by mikeup » Sat May 12, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Warwick,

I am using OSX 10.7.4

Because of the file size I am having trouble sending it as an attachment so I hope this link works for you:
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeumike4150/f ... own.FtkSql

mikeup

Exporting to Gedcom

Post by mikeup » Tue May 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Warwick

I sent you a link to my FtkSql database on 12 May and I am wondering if you have been able to try it in debug mode and if so whether any progress has been made.

Regards
Mike

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed May 23, 2012 2:43 am

Sorry, I had missed this reply :oops: Email suits my daily workflow better.

I can see 194857 people and 351736 events in your 870MB FtkSql file. It opens slowly due to the size of the file and there is a lot of spinning beachball action, but it does get there in the end. Each time you make a change in iFamily the database will resave, this may be unpractical for large databases such as this.

I was however referring to supply of the Gedcom file you loaded from, rather than the FtkSql file generated. Can you please provide a link to that the Gedcom and I'll investigate what it is getting stuck on at the end of the load. My guess is that the integrity checks are underoptimized for a database of this size, I can tweak that.

The integrity checks are the last item run in each Gedcom load. The FtkSql file you have provided me should be complete, just unanalysed.

Warwick.