Too many backups

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
bmonson

Too many backups

Post by bmonson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I need help! I started with Tiger and have worked along. I just updated to Snow Leopard and realized that I have SEVERAL versions (backups) of ifamily each with "some" information. When I click on my ifamily icon in my tool bar I don't have the most complete version come up. How do I find out which of these many databases really has ALL the information in it. How do I merge information when I find it in one database and not the other? How do I get rid of these extras?[/b]
bmonson

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:30 am

Hi bmonson,

I have this problem too and will address it in a future version. For the timebeing there are two strategies which may assist.

1. Look at the Date modified for each file in Finder. This is not entirely helpful as each time a database is opened it is resaved, so you will only really be able to tell when you last opened the file.

2. Open each of your databases in turn and select Reports->Statistics.... This approach will work best if you note down, (on paper!), the name of the file and some appropriate stats, such as the number of births, number of people and number of pictures recorded in each database.

Let me know how you go.

Warwick.

bmonson

Post by bmonson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 am

Ok, option 2 worked to figure out the database with the most names, etc. I ran the statistics and compared to be sure I had all the facts (very tedious, but necessary). NOW, how do I DELETE all the un-needed backups?
bmonson

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 am

Each of your databases in iFamily is a single file with an FtkSql file extension. For example, my file might be Wilson_Suttor_Duddingston.FtkSql.

Locate the file using Finder and right click on it, then choose "Remove To Trash". Empty the trash if you are confident enough, or alternately you can just rename the files if you aren't 100% sure, (using Finder->Get Info..).

All FtkSql files should be located in the /iFamilyData/ folder in your user home directory, (or in the /iFamilyData/Backups/ directory).