Update not working?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
JackHenry

Update not working?

Post by JackHenry » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

When attempting a 'Check For New Version" I constantly get an 'Connection Error: Unknown Error" This has been happening for some time.

I also notice that the 'latest' release information on the website is 2.526 although I'm running 2.885.

Has this software been abandoned?

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi Jack,

iFamily uses an FTP process to check for the lastest update. I have had customers in the past find out that their internet provider is blocking port 25 so this update method does not work. (This is quite rare.).

The "Connection Timed out" problem will also occur for versions prior to V2.423 as the program will be looking for the iFamilyForTiger website which is no longer set up to talk back. It doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

A third scenario is that the pipes are broken at the time. If your connection to Canberra is non functional, (where our internet host resides), or if our host is experiencing downtime, then you may also get the timeout message.

iFamily is not still supported, you can always email me and I will reply within a day or so. (Family life and work permitting). The latest release info on my front page really is something that I really should fix. The out-of-datedness is a way for me to reduce my customer service load from new customers, fear not I am still beavering away back here :)

ww.

ruckmanf

Re: Update not working?

Post by ruckmanf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Help....I CANNOT get Ifamily to OPEN.

Frank Ruckman
Ruckmanf@gmail.com

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: Update not working?

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 pm

HI Frank,