One database, one person in two different places

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:07 am

Originally posted by Gunnar

Hi Keith:

In my database my oncle married his cousin. I have this cousin in two different places in the same database. How can I mark this person (# 101 and # 267) as being the same?

I have a database: Gunnar's and Gertraut's decendants another Gunnar's relatives and another one: Gertraut's relatives.
How could I join those databases?
Would you recommend joining the three databases?
Could it be too confusing to find my way around, or, because this is a person based database, it does not really matter.
One database has about 25 people and the other two about 300 each.

Thanks for your very fast reply last time

Gunnar

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Gunnar wrote: In my database my oncle married his cousin. I have this cousin in two different places in the same database. How can I mark this person (# 101 and # 267) as being the same?
A person must only occur once in an iFamily database. You must delete one instance of the person.

You can Right Click on a Ghost Box for a spouse, child or parent to attach an existing person.

If you need more assistance then please email me the database (FtkSql) file and I will send you concise instructions on what needs to be done.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Gunnar wrote: I have a database: Gunnar's and Gertraut's decendants another Gunnar's relatives and another one: Gertraut's relatives.
How could I join those databases?
Would you recommend joining the three databases?
Could it be too confusing to find my way around, or, because this is a person based database, it does not really matter.
One database has about 25 people and the other two about 300 each.
I would merge the data from the small database into the larger one.

For only 25 people I would also be tempted to just add the data manually to the larger database but that depends on how many sources and notes fields are involved.

If the people are all related in some way then I would make one database from all your smaller ones.

Please refer to FAQ's How do I merge data from one database into another

Keith