Data entry trap in "People Index" ?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 am

Originally posted by Bernt.Svihus

While enjoying the power of the " People Index" I suddenly noticed that this was not only a search / look-up feature:

I was surprised that the data field just below the Refresh and Sort buttons was actually a data entry / modification field. It took me a couple of entries to learn that an entry was actually changing the names of people - and not, as I expected, a field to specify a name for the search / filter.

Wouldn¥t it be more intuitive and useful for this field to be " read-only" and for it to display the Focal Person? The current individual in the index is already shown in the middle box in the dialogue...

(Using Version 2.341)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 am

This is a data entry field because it has been (is) very useful when you are editing a lot of names - especially after importing data from a Gedcom file that needs a lot of clean up. It may be actually better to now move this editing functionality to a new menu option like People -> Edit Family Names that was added in V2.351. Will think about it. In the meantime I have added a label (V2.353) in the People Index to make it clear that this is an editable field.

Keith