Adding a reference to an active source

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally posted by tom

When adding a reference to an active source a dialog subsequently pops up where one can add page ref(s), Topic(s), and/or Notes for this source. What sort of information should be stored in those various categories? The source already allows for the inclusion of notes. For example, I list all family members on an 1880 census in notes in the source line by line. Should this information not be added in the source note field and be added instead to the pop up which has the Topics, Notes, etc.?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

The Notes for the Source are for notes about the Source document itself.

The Notes for the Source Reference are for notes about the specific reference within the Source.

Depending on how large your database is and how many sources you have then you may decided to enter Census information as follows:

1. Ignore the use of Sources and Source References and simply add Notes to each Event - this may get you into trouble if your database gets large (> 1000 people).

OR

2. Add each page of a Census as a separate Source and reference it directly without adding a Page Reference and Notes to the Source Reference.

OR

3. Enter the 1881 UK Census as a Source and then in each Source Reference quote the appropriate Page Reference and Notes for the Page of the Census that is relevant.

For instance I have a Family History Book (written by others) that describes three branches of my ancestors (mostly rogues and scoundrels) so I have entered the Book as a Source and then I have added various references to that book quoting page numbers for each particular event. I have also entered a family bible as a Source - which also contained information on the same people.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by tom

Keith:
Just for clarification. Is the scenario you're suggestion with the third possibility for example: listing the 1880 US Census as a source and then when using the " pop-up" source notes to add the page and line number of each family member and their information listed on that page of the census? I may very well get to a 1000 people in the database so I want to establish an effective and efficient methodology before I begin populating the database. I am assuming that option 3 would only list the 1880 US Census once as a source and, for lack of a better term, the pop-up source notes etc, would be used to cite persons of relevance by page, line number etc. Forgive me for being dense. I'd rather get things right now than have to rework every thing later.

Tom