Which Name to Use

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Phil Kretsinger

Which Name to Use

Post by Phil Kretsinger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I am adopted. Which name do you suggest I use, my birth name or my adopted name?

NigelRichman

Re: Which Name to Use

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Phil,

Sorry not to reply sooner but I hoped someone with direct experience of this would chip in.

In my view of genealogy you should use your birth name linked to your birth mother (and father if possible) as that is your line of descent.

You can then enter your adopted parents with the appropriate link in the tree.

I hope that makes sense and welcome any additional input from others for if I find adopted relatives in my past.

Happy New Year

Nigel

Phil Kretsinger

Post by Phil Kretsinger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks Nigel for your input. I have it the other way around but I think I will take your suggestion and put my birth name.

Phil

Kathy LPV

Post by Kathy LPV » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:32 am

HI Phil,
My Mom was also adopted. But since she was never legally adopted, we have her original Birth Certificate with both of her birth parents names on it. So I typed her name in as BEATTIE-HOFF. I did that so that when I upload my GEDCOM to various sites, anyone with either name can reach out to see if we're related. & I've found some HOFF & BEATTIE relations.

BEATTIE is her Mother's name, but she always thought of her adoptive parents as her "real" parents, as they raised her. I didn't type in her father's name, except as the birth Father. Fortunately, iFamily, has a place for both natural & adoptive parent connections. Most other programs don't have that option.
Kathy LPV