Incorrect surname in iFamily?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Kathy LPV

Incorrect surname in iFamily?

Post by Kathy LPV » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm

HI,
Problem 1 I've just found and added 2 more generations to my Lo PINTO in iFamily. However, all but 2 show up as the surname "Lo Pinto" that I typed in. But 2 show up only as "PINTO" and that will mess up my surname listing!

I typed all the names in correctly, as "Lo PINTO" in the proper places of the iFamily screen. But later, the names in the "descendant" box showed up as "PINTO" ? I've tried everything I can to change it to no avail. Oddly, the 4th & 7th generation are "Lo PINTO" - only the 5th & 6th generation are PINTO !?!

Why do these surnames, not appear as I typed them in the boxes in the chart where I typed them? Do I have to delete these names & retype them in all over again? Or is there a better way to fix these surnames.

Problem 2, These newly found 2nd & 3rd great grandfathers have the title "Don" before their names. So at first I typed in "Don" & then their given & surnames. But in the box above, only "Don" appeared, as if it was a given name, not their real given names. I don't see anyplace to add a prefix to a name, like Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc. Is there any way I can note that in the name area? Have I missed something? Or should I just put that into my notes instead?

Thanks for any help to correct this dilemma,
Kathy LPV
[Lion - 10.7.5]

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

How to correct two part surname in iFamily.

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 am

Kathy LPV wrote:Problem 1: Do I have to delete these names & retype them in all over again? Or is there a better way to fix these surnames.
No need to retype, merely to edit. Search the database using the index button at the left of the toolbar for PINTO. Focus on each incorrect identity and insert a break-space in between the two parts of the surname.

A break-space is formed by holding down control while hitting space. This will not be recognized as a space character by iFamily and as such will form the full "LO PINTO" surname.

Any new descendants should follow suit with the full surname, if the problem arises again then repeat the exercise.

Some common prefixes for family names are also auto-recognized, please see http://ifamilyformac.com/forums/viewtop ... p=476#p476
Kathy LPV wrote:Problem 2, These newly found 2nd & 3rd great grandfathers have the title "Don" before their names. So at first I typed in "Don" & then their given & surnames. But in the box above, only "Don" appeared, as if it was a given name, not their real given names. I don't see anyplace to add a prefix to a name, like Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc. Is there any way I can note that in the name area? Have I missed something? Or should I just put that into my notes instead?
iFamily does not recognise given name prefixs automatically. For the timebeing, place the name into the Title/Occupation field that runs across the top of the individuals panel. The notes field could also be used as you suggest as this will be placed in exports. You could also use the break-space trick from above for the given name if it suits your purpose, but this may confuse the issue when exporting a Gedcom later on.

I did find some given name prefixes, but no Don. It looks like that bit of code was never active, as indicated by the rudimentary keywords - Dr Sir Lord King Queen Prince Princess - looks like dad was playing with the demo tree there.

On a similar vein, the complete list of family-name-affixes recognised by iFamily is as follows:
ab, abu, ap, ben, bin, da, de, del, den, der, des, di, du, fitz, ibn, la, le,of, st, st., ter, von, van, mac, mc, nic, an, Bean,
o acute, i acute, i grave.

Kathy LPV

Re: Incorrect surname in iFamily?

Post by Kathy LPV » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks Warwick,
I tried to create the space in my surname [Lo PINTO] as you said, via Index & Edit Person's name by pressing both control & the Space bar several times, but it didn't work. So I tried using Command & Space, no go. I finally got it to work by holding Option & the Space bar. Maybe that's because I'm still using Lion? And by the by, though I did this with the earliest ancestor, the space did not carry through to his descendants. I had to redo each descendant affected. That's what was so discouraging in the first place, only these newly added ancestors had that problem, none of those I've added before.

One problem solved. Now I have new problem with these same names . . .
Now have the space, but a few of them are now LO PINTO ?!? Our name has a small o, not a capitol O. I've tried to change this in several places, in the Index - Edit, on their actual page, and also by clicking on the Arrow next to their family - name page. I even tried to delete & retype in the whole surname in all of those places. None of these methods worked. AGUH!

Oh well. I am considering updating to Il Capitan soon, but I want to make sure I don't loose my iFamily program, as happened with Maverick. It's why I want back to Lion! I don't want to loose my iFamily program again! [It's the Best!}