Sharing iFamily information

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:56 pm

Originally posted by jpitre

Just loaded my iFamily software -- great program! Appears to do everything I want.

Question: I have a Mac and iFamily, so that is great, but how is the best way to share the information with other family members who all (sad) have PCs? iFamily is user friendly and has so many visual features, that it would be a shame to send on a file that ends up as cryptic jargon on their end

Suggestions welcome

Thanks

Jim

PS - any way or thought given to adding a way to connect/compare DNA strings?

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by Marc

You can exchange information by creating a GEDCOM file which can be imported into the other program. While GEDCOM is not perfect, it will transfer most information.

Marc

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

The iFamily for Tiger reports are mostly generated as Rich Text Format (RTF) files that can be opened in any word processor (that I know of) on a PC. Alternatively you can always save them from your word processor as PDF files and send them the PDF files.

Some iFamily for Tiger reports are genearted as comma delimited (csv) files that can be loaded into any spreadsheet app (that I know of). The csv format files are a good way of getting them (the relies) to fill in the blanks so you can update your database.

You can also send them large charts in PDF format. Please have a look under FAQ's at http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/YaB ... 1182783014

PDF format files can be read on PCs using Adobe Reader or on Macs using Preview. Preview displays clearer/cleaner text because the antialiasing is better. PDF format is great if you don't want your relies messing with your data and creating their own set of lies.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Saving direct to a PDF file and emailing it

In V2.292 you can generate a PDF file for the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams by simply pressing the new Save As PDF button. Apple's Preview application will automatically open and you can then use menu option Mail Document to send the diagram to a friend.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by Lesley
Keith Wilson wrote:Saving direct to a PDF file and emailing it

In V2.292 you can generate a PDF file for the Ancestors and Descendants diagrams by simply pressing the new Save As PDF button. Apple's Preview application will automatically open and you can then use menu option Mail Document to send the diagram to a friend.

Keith
This feature is FANTASTIC and sooooo easy and the result is stunning many thanks Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Lesley

You can also use Preview to highlight people (use the ellipse) and add Notes to the diagram before you email it

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by jillaine smith

And lastly (until someone suggests something else), you can upload your GEDCOM to a family tree-sharing web site such as WorldConnect (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com). This one shares your work with the world there are a couple of others that let you share it with only those you invite to share it. I *think* ancestry.com has such a feature, and there are a few others.

-- Jillaine

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

And lastly (until someone suggests something else)....
Hi Jillaine

WorldConnect is certainly not the last word in web site publishing - I suggest that you might like to also look at The Next Generation (TNG) by Darrin Lythgoe.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by jillaine smith

I'm sure Worldconnect is not the last word, but I like it for several reason:

* it's free
* it adds your data into a searchable mega database used by a LOT of people, therefore increasing the likelihood that I'll connect with those researching the same lines
* all I have to do is upload a GEDCOM (and go through a one-time setup menu) and it displays the data in a variety of ways:
-- a family page
-- a descendancy list
-- a pedigree list
-- an ahnentafel display
* I have the option to share or not my GEDCOM for download
* It has some great filters that allow me to control what will and won't be shared/seen.
* It serves as a wonderful back-up in case my home computer goes south (which I'm sure will never happen now that I've moved to a MAC). This has saved my behind in the past-- I was able to recover a GEDCOM after a massive hard drive crash.

Mmm... after writing all that, I think I *do* believe it's the last word in publishing one's family file on the Internet. Happy to learn of other really great products, though.

-- Jillaine