64 bit compatibility

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Reggi

64 bit compatibility

Post by Reggi » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi,
I have recently seen that Apple will be withdrawing support for 32 bit systems and apps from some time in 2018. Is iFamily already 64 bit, or is it still being worked on? I remember there was a glitch in an earlier release of iFamily which attempted 64 bit.

Regards

Ray

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: 64 bit compatibility

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks for letting me know about this, it had not been on my radar. The 64-bit conversion was half completed last time I worked on it, (c. 2015).

If Apple has made the decree I will meet it. It is probably another 10-15 days of full time work to finish it the work and testing required. By some time in 2018 I should be able to accommodate this. :wink:

weegus

Post by weegus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Unless I am mistaken Apple will be rolling out the final version of High Sierra OS in autumn 2017 and iFamily 32 bit will cease to work thereafter.

Your 2018 ETA for a 64 bit version seems a bit long too wait for those of us who use the app frequently.
JMD

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 am

Don't panic!

You are mistaken as High Sierra is stated as being the last version to support 32 bit apps.

So there is still time for an update or two before the release of the 64 bit only macOS :D

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:15 am

Hi

I have just installed the first public beta of High Sierrra and the bad news is that iFamilyForMac does not launch.

The good news is that Warwick will have it fixed before the public release.

So don't install the public beta on your main or only machine.

Regards

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 am

I have been getting a few queries about 64 bit compatibility via email so thought I would place some information here to alleviate a little support load. Here is a link to the announcement from the horses mouth in June: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017a

It confirms that 32 bit apps distributed outside the app store will be 'tolerated' for another release cycle giving me time to work my magic.

nearlywrinkly

Post by nearlywrinkly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Warwick,
Don't know if this a 64bit related problem or not. I have just updated to High Sierra on my 2017MBP and iFamily no longer works. I currently running iFamily 2.9.4.
I can send a copy of the crash report if this helps.
Regards
Dave

Reggi

Post by Reggi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi Warwick,

Have just downloaded 2.9.6 and have so far noticed no problems. It actually seems a bit more agile, but that may be a mistken first impression?

I am still running Mac OS 10.9.5, and do not wish to upgrade yet due to other software considerations. I noticed that your next release may no longer support anything less than 10.10 , is this correct or will just some functions may not operate as intended??? Is this the release you intend for next month, in which case will you still support the current version?

Regards

Ray

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 am

Reggi wrote:I noticed that your next release may no longer support anything less than 10.10 , is this correct or will just some functions may not operate as intended??? Is this the release you intend for next month, in which case will you still support the current version?
The next release will introduce a new method of checking for updates in which your operating system version will form part of the request. It will act as a gate so that if you are still on an older system it will say there is no update available for your system, but will update normally again when your system can run it.

I am required to deprecate certain functions, (such as some image handling routines), to function libraries that are not available previously to 10.10. In order for iFamily to continue running on the older systems they cannot include this code, (the older operating systems simply don't possess them.).

In short, the next release will still support 10.6 forwards but you will subsequently not receive further updates if you are on an unsupported system. Once you upgrade to macOS iFamily will then update again normally.

Reggi

Post by Reggi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Warwick,

Thanks for your clarification and the work you have done to ensure the continued support of iFamily on future Mac OS releases.

A small point is that officially El Capitain was released as OS X, the name changing to Mac OS with Sierra and beyond. I assume that iFamily will work / update OK in OS X & Mac OS from OS X Yosemite (10.10 ) onwards?

I still am disappointed that iFamily (new issues) will not work in Mavericks. I have noticed that a fair number of apps still support OS X 10.9 onwards albeit with some reduced functionally. I prefer to keep a few OS’s behind the ‘Cutting Edge’ to allow for bugs to be resolved in the OS itself and by the individual app developers.

Regards

Ray