Family Heirlooms and to Whom They Belonged

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:35 am

Originally posted by DianaJackson

I want to know how many genealogists with iFamily for Tiger would like to expand the awesome capabilities of this genius software to include a section that would allow photos of family heirlooms (furniture, spectacles, crystal) or whatever your ancestors have handed down and beside that photo, a description including the original owner's name and any history with the piece. I may be way out there with this idea, and if I am, it's okay to tell me so.

I want to add that I believe EVERYONE should switch to a MAC just to get this software. I tried one advertised on the MAC website this summer and I had a nightmare of a time trying to use it. I like to stretch my imagination to figure things out without looking at instructions first (that's a LAST resort for me) and iFFT lets me. VERY COOL. I buy things and need to take them back because they are defective...in fact, my 3 year old Saab was dead yesterday and I had to have it towed!!! But...I have loved using this program since the first day Keith taught he how to download. How nice to have such a flawless experience. No Roadside Assistance needed for this! (This is my first-ever post...I may have gone a little nuts. Thanks for looking.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Diana,

So you want to record heirlooms and someone else want to record their pets as " members of the family" . Heirlooms is an interesting one and they need to be kept track of somehow, especially when people disperse all over the world and take bits with them. I know there is stuff in an attic 12,000 miles away that I need to get my hands on before the mice have it for dinner. And my wife recently found a gold ring in a local antique jeweller's shop that was advertised as having been made by my 3gGrandfather Jacob. It turned out it was actually made by his second cousin once removed, also called Jacob and also a jeweller. She didn't take it back for a refund. And then there is also the Christening font (Italian?) that we want to verify, just so many things to do.... and someone else probably wants a special way of recording tombstones - are you reading this thread Annie?.

For the time being the best I can suggest is that you

a) add the heirloom to the current owner's picture gallery and add some Notes or

b) write a story about it with your word processor, complete with pictures and add the rtf or doc file to the owner's picture gallery - you can put virtually any sort of file in the picture gallery. or

Maybe I need to add a " media type" to the things that go in the picture gallery - Picture, Document, Story, Heirloom, Tombstone, Pet, House,... could all be classifications of different types of " things of interest" .

BTW: I would be quite happy to take the Saab off your hands if you don't want it any more, but then the Saab spare parts are so awfully expensive that I wouldn't be able to offer you much for it.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

For tombstones and funeral cards, I have added the pictures to my Pictures for that specific individual. That way, when I check to see if I have everything downloaded for that person, I have only to compare what is in iPhoto with what is in Pictures. If it is not in either place, I know I need to retrieve it. If I had to put photos in different categories (because you can further compartmentalize into wedding photos, birth photos, tombstone photos, graduations photos), it would become too burdensome and very time consuming to manage. Frankly, I like the simplicity. If it is a source, you look in Source. If it's a photograph, you simply look in the individual's Pictures. Very nice. I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

I suggest a separate way to list heirlooms because my descendants may want to find out about certain items without knowing to whom they belonged. (They have the item in hand, but don't know where to start looking, and, with 450 people in my iFFT, it would take quite awhile.) And, if I wanted, it would be nice to make a photo album of heirlooms. On the other side of the coin, I could just use MACs iPhoto to create the album add my heirloom photos just as I do any other photo with an annotation that identifies it. Maybe that is the best way to preserve the user friendly nature of this software. Did i just argue again it with myself? Hmm.

As for pets, I love my pets and consider them a part of the family BUT I do not confuse them with my ancestry or descendants. I have photos of pets that are about 60 years old with my father as a youngster. It would be a nice idea to add one of those photos to give him a bit of personality but I wouldn't list the animal separately. Thank you for putting the idea in my thoughts.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

I suggest a separate way to list heirlooms because my descendants may want to find out about certain items without knowing to whom they belonged. (They have the item in hand, but don't know where to start looking, and, with 450 people in my iFFT, it would take quite awhile.) And, if I wanted, it would be nice to make a photo album of heirlooms. On the other side of the coin, I could just use MACs iPhoto to create the album add my heirloom photos just as I do any other photo with an annotation that identifies it
Maybe I need to do some more work on the function Reports -> Pictures Where used? Maybe it needs another sort field? Maybe it needs to include the pictures in the report? Maybe it needs an iPhoto-like way of scrolling through them all on screen and just printing a selection?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

If no one else finds this heirloom subject germane, then I can make an album that is not computer generated. I really like iFFT the way it is and would only welcome a change like this if there were enough users who would benefit. I wouldn't expect to print it out (maybe for insurance purposes) as long as my work in iFFT can be transfered from one computer to another as I need to update hardware or, when I croak, my daughters can move the information to their computers.

That's a great idea to add a " sort" option for photos to Reports but users would need to make sure the photo was downloaded with some kind of tag that identifies it as an heirloom. I may have opened a can of worms here, though.

(You wouldn't want this Saab - the computers haven't operated right since I bought it. Maybe you know how to get it working! Ha, wouldn't put it past you!)