How to handle multiple names for Chinese in-laws?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:27 am

Originally posted by ddell

I'm using iFamily for Tiger to compile my Chinese wife's family tree, but before I get too deep into this, I'd like to know the best way to deal with Chinese characters in names and places. Many of her relatives were born in China or Taiwan so of course were given Chinese names, then if they later moved to the US, they adopted names using the English alphabet, often very different from their original names.

Which name should I use in iFamily for Tiger, their Chinese character name, their romanized Pinyin name, or their adopted/anglicized name?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[ch35613][ch35613]! Xie-Xie!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Dale,

For the time being, you should enter all the person's aliases and nick names in brackets, like:

John (Jack) Wilson

where John is the person's birth name.

There is also a problem when using iFamily with Asian names in that iFamily will always assume that the person's last name is their family name.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by ddell

So, if I am entering the name of [ch29579][ch36948][ch20161], which in PinYin is spelled Wang Da Ren, but who later went by Darren Wong after he moved to the US, I suppose I would I enter his name like this, right?

Da Ren ([ch29579][ch36948][ch20161] , Darren Wong) WANG

Thanks!