Creating a new relationship

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:58 am

Originally posted by GrantAxton

I have two branches of family that I have mapped out, but have not found how they link into the greater family tree. I hope some day to figure out how they tie in, but in the meantime, I want to put the info into ifamily. How will I link them when I figure out the link? I know when you right click (option click) you can attach that person to a child, parent, or spouse, but what if I need to connect him as a sibling? I can start the new branch by &quot adding an unconnected person&quot , but I am not sure how I will link that branch to the rest of the tree when I figure out the connection. Is my only option to create another database and then some day merge it into my main family tree? Grant

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

If you do not know how these dynasties are related then maybe they are not actually related.

You have two options - both of which you have already identified.

Option 1. Create a new database and later on - if you can prove that they are connected you can merge them together. You should do this merge as soon as you find the missing link. The more overlap you have in the two databases, the harder it is to merge.

Option 2. Create an unconnected person and build both dynasties within the same database.

My preference is to use Option 1 because you may never find the missing link - it may not exist.

On the other hand in my own database I have actually created a fictitious missing link. The time and place and names are all OK but there were two John Duddingstons born in Crail in the same week and I do not know which was Mary's father. If anyone lives in Crail then I am trying to track down John Duddingston (b. abt 1736), Bailie of Crail father of Mary Duddingston b.22 Jan 1766, Crail, Fife. And why did Mary end up in Fores? And how did her first husband David Wilson die?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by perthling

Option 3. Convince two people from each dynasty to marry each other.