iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1 ?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Kathy LPV

iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1 ?

Post by Kathy LPV » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:46 am

Hi, I just got a new mac, with Monterey 12.0.1 I went in & thought I'd downloaded the updated DMG to the new version, with the first 12.0.1. But when I tried to open it - nothing happened.

I was Devistated - I LOVE iFamily 4 mac - best thing since the old FamilyTree program, in the 90s!
So I wondered if iFamily updated the DMG for the latest Monterey version 12.2.1 - But I finally got it on the new mac. It was so long since I had to update, I forgot how . . . or like so many other changes with Monterey they messed it up.

FYI - Warning to any who plan to update to Monterey - lots of changes & mess ups. Doesn't have ALL my Web Pages or Passwords in Keychain. Pages are a Mess, Favorite Fonts are gone, & many more problems. I got v 12.0.1 & had 3 updates - in 1 month! & it still runs shakey. Hope they fix it all soon.

Thanks Warwick for keeping this up. I want to pay for your efforts to keep this going, but don't do PayPal [messed me up years ago] I don't understand the other ways of paying, but hope I'll figure it out soon. Vada con dio a tutti pal.

Kathy LPV

Re: WARNING: iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1 ?

Post by Kathy LPV » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi ALL - I just reinstalled iFamily for Monterey for the Third [3] time in 3 months. It actually opened last night after the last reinstall. So I looked it over, made some additions & closed it. Then I thought I'd get in again, just in case - But it "quit" before it even opened ?!? I've reported it to Apple, but I found there's another problem . . .

I checked my Applications [mac has a new way to put a download into Apps that I can't figure out how to Do!] and. . . when I looked at each of the several iFamily Applications I have several, [even 2012] . But the latest iFamily version is - iFamily_V12.0.dmg
Monterey is a mess, one of the worst "update" OS I've been through & may likely have to Fix more bad apps again & again.
I got Monterey in mid Jan 2022. But Monterey has gone through 3 "updates" from Jan to Feb: 12.0.1 & 12.1.1 & now is up to 12.2.1 ?!?

So, I guess Apple won't allow me open iFamiiy, because of those updates? Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a Fix I can do?
All I can say is, I am glad I still have my old computer [High Sierra} So I'll still be able to work on my iFamily program.

NigelRichman

Re: iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1 ?

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi,

I have iFamily (v2.12.0) running fine on my M1 machines (other than some bugs reported elsewhere) and no issues with Monterey (12.3.1).

Updates are a way of life I'm afraid - mainly to fix bugs and vulnerabilities as well as adding the previously promised features.

Where is your iFamily data folder on the new machine as it might be different from the default if you moved it in the past.

Have you tried to create a new data base to see if it is working?

Regards,

Nigel

Kathy LPV

Re: iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1; Now v 12.3.1 !!!

Post by Kathy LPV » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:21 am

Hi,
I have iFamily (v2.12.0) running fine on my M1 machines (other than some bugs reported elsewhere) and no issues with Monterey (12.3.1).
Updates are a way of life I'm afraid - mainly to fix bugs and vulnerabilities as well as adding the previously promised features.
Where is your iFamily data folder on the new machine as it might be different from the default if you moved it in the past.
Have you tried to create a new data base to see if it is working?
Regards, Nigel
Hi Nigel,
That's not the problem, I got this new computer with Monterey 12,0.1 in mid Jan 2022, First thing I did was to downloaded the v 12.0 iFamilyforMac - then within 2 weeks they upgraded Monterey OS - to v12.1.1 {?} then 2 more weeks it went to v 12.2.1 and a few weeks ago they did another upgrade to v 12.3.1 about 19 April !?!
iFamily still works on my old computer with High Sierra, but it dos not work on this new mac OS - Monterey v12.3.1. I know Mac can be a pain in the neck, with all their early outputs & then updating a not so good first attempt.
But . . . though I can still get to my older computer program, I wonder if you can, or you are, working on this latest 12. 3.1 version?

NigelRichman

Re: iFamily & Monterey v 12.2.1 ?

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:22 am

Hi

Yes I am using macOS Monterey 12.3.1 with the latest version of iFamily v2.12.0

Other than the issue with entering dates in September as covered elsewhere on the forum I don’t have any major problems.

Nigel