UK Census data and Sources

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:11 am

Originally posted by gmerrall

Hi everyone. Just jumped on using iFamily and it's very impressive. The only thing I'm not up to speed with is use and management of sources, especially with things like Census data. I'm interested to know how others manage it.

For each census lookup should I create a source listing, say for 1891 census including folio/page information e.g Rg10/ 4317 folio 19 page 31 or should I create a single census source, use that globally and include the folio information in the notes against the event record?

Cheers,
Graeme

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by ricky

Hi Graeme,

for UK census data, I add a " Census" event to the person. ( I have one event name for each census, e.g. Event Name " 1841 England Census" or " 1851 England Census" , and so on ).

Then, if I wish to actually add the source document itself ( i.e. the img from Ancestry.com ) , I create a source and put the img there ( as it is a single page - i.e. a single JPG image ), and add this source to the Census Event.

The same source can be used by all people on the same page, each with their own Census event.

This allows me to do two things...see all people on the 1851 census, for example, and all people from the same source ( i.e. the same page of the census return )

Interested to hear other people's thoughts - having no formal training, I tend to use iFamily as a tool in the ay it suits me, rather than by a widely known methodology ( is there one ? if so, can we be directed to it ? ).

regards, Ricky.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi all

I am currently building a new function in iFamily for Tiger - the work-flow goes like this:

1. You find a new Souce document that contains new people or new events that need to be added to the database.

2. You add the new Source, including its relevant publication info and maybe a picture.

3. You make that Source the &quot Current Active Source&quot and close the Source window.

As you add people and events iFamily will then (semi-)automatically add References (Citations) to the &quot Current Active Source&quot .

When you have finished gleaning information from that Source document you simply deactivate it or start on another Source document.

If anyone out there wants to test this new functionality (for us all) then please let me know. The more fastidious you are, the better.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by Geordie lass

Hi Graeme,

For Census returns I usually drag the image onto the picture pane and when its for a family I then drag it from the family " head" to copy it to all the other family members. I create an event to record address and occupation and any other relevant details.

I guess its whatever way you want to record the data - that's the good thing about iFamily you can use it to suit your own needs .

I haven't done much with sources - that's going to be my next big project going through all the data and entering sources for all the information I've got stored - it's currently all in my notebooks!

Have fun with your tree
Cheers Enid :)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by guyholmes

Think I am the same as Geordie Lass - In the pictures pane for each individual, I put a copy of the census image file, downloaded from Ancestry.co.uk. The great thing about iFamily is that it allows you to reorder the image files so you can take an individual, have a photo to appear in the context diagram, and then from left to right have a birth certtificate, 1851 census, 1861, marriage, 1871, 1881, 1891, death cert and hence look straight into the pictures pane and get a whole life story.

I too have struggled with sources a bit. I create a census event, and put the address in the main description of the event - This is not the norm I'm sure, but then when you upload the GEDCOM to Ancestry, it includes the address is the main body of the events, so you can look through and see the location of events on the Ancestry.com family trees.

Source files and references I'm sure work really well when you have lots of different sources, but as yet, I have found them a bit complicated !!