Using events

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Using events

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:46 am

Originally posted by gmerrall

When entering data off the census such as Occupation just wondering how folks enter the data.

For occupation do you leave 'Occupation' in the event column and enter their occupation in notes, or enter the actual occupation in the event column?. Or I guess you leave occupation, put the place in and use the notes field but that doubles up on the place if you also add residence.

For residence column I leave " Residence" in the event column and add the address in the place column.

How do others do it?

Cheers,
Graeme

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Using events

Originally posted by ricky

Hi Graeme,

I also wondered how other people manage this, so would be interested in the responses...particularly from experienced genealogists.

Meanwhile, my method :-

For occupation, Event Type tells me it is an " Occupation" . The actual occupation I put in the Event Name ( e.g. Event Name : Paling Man ). If this is coming from a census then I can also put date, 1841, 1851 and so on, and place. Notes is somewhere I can provide more detail about the occupation ( e.g. Notes: A Paling Man is a seller of Eels ). This is the text which is shown in the A& D diagrams, so you are forced to do it this way.

For residence I have been inconsistent with the above, but I have found this worked better for me, and seems to be the generic way of doing it in gedcom... Event Type is " Residence" , but I also keep Event Name as " Residence" ( also, other gedcom applications save it this way - likewise " Birth" ," Death" ," Marriage" ), and the Event Place is the higher level place, e.g. Nottingham, and then I put the actual address in the Notes field. I keep the Event Place more high-level - i.e. not the specific address - because the Event Place is a common entity - e.g. if I want to find all people who lived in Nottingham, I can select Nottingham from the Event->Event Places menu and see all of its residents.

Keen to hear other thoughts....

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Using events

Originally posted by dhwalt

Hello Graeme,
This is an interesting topic and like yourself + Ricky would like to know how people organise data entry + retrieval. This is my current method but even after using several family history applications I have not found a system that works in all circumstances. The greatest difficulty being that as the database grows what seemed practical at 100 individuals needs changing to work with 1000s and the associated sources. Census returns causing the most problems:
1. I used to enter CENS, OCCU and RESI for each person appearing on the census page (in employment) plus CENS and RESI for other family members.
2. RESI mostly duplicates the CENS place so I recently dropped that and now have CENS and OCCU or CENS only for other family members.
3. RESI event names are Boarder, Home, Inmate, Lodger, Patient, Visitor..etc.
4. These RESI names are used with census pages, BMD certs., Obituaries...etc but Home is not used in conjunction with CENS.
5. I have taken the global approach for census source citations i.e. an available image is linked to each family individual but the source would be e.g. 1861 Census England & Wales.
6. I do not cite a source for all census entries (at date I have roughly 3100 census images, say average 4 individuals /page...).
7. Otherwise there are citations for National Archives, emails, verbal records, family pictures...etc.
8. CENS event names in this scheme can be 1841 Census, 1851 Census... with the citation for country and other detail when needed. The Event Year filter is particularly useful when filtering census events.
9. OCCU events use the event names column for the job description.
10. Place always uses the available full address e.g. 1 No Street, No Place, No Where, No Country, No Postcode...
Particularly with Place this allows a number of search options.
11. With BMDs I use Notes to record GRO references in England & Wales, GROS references for Scots...etc

That's the basics.
Regards Dave