Adding images to the Picture Pane V2.1

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:39 pm

Originally posted by Geordie lass

Hi,
I downloaded version 2.1 yesterday evening and was doing some research looking for census returns on &quot Ancestry&quot - I usually just drag and drop the census return straight from &quot Ancestry&quot to the picture pane but now I can't - I just get a message telling me its &quot unable to copy file&quot
Does this mean that I've got to go back to doing it the 'hard' way and save images to iPhoto and then import them into iFamily?. It was just so easy to sit with iFamily and Ancestry open side by side to search, find, drag and drop!
Other than that I still think its a good programme
Regards
Geordie Lass

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

I do not believe that the problem is in iFamily for Tiger.

When you attempt to drag an image from a web site the web site may decide that the image is protected - they do not want you to be able to copy it.

I suggest that you also try

1. Right Click + Copy on the web page and then Right Click + Paste onto the iFamily Pictures pane.

OR (this will rip all the images from the web page)

2. With the web page active - use menu option Edit + Select All, then Edit + Copy. Then in iFamily Right Click on the Pictures pane and select Paste.

Do you know what format the original picture is?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Enid,

Many thanks for the screen snap of the error message. It looks like you have already downloaded a large number of images from Ancestry called image.x.jpg (99 of them). There a limit in iFamily that stops you downloading more than 99 images of the same name to the iFamily /Pictures directory. The reason for the limit is that for files of the same name iFamily has to do a lot of file compares and performance is then slowed down.

- so in the folder called iFamilyForTigerData /Pictures you already have

images.x.jpg
images.x_1.jpg
images.x_2.jpg
images.x_3.jpg
images.x_4.jpg
images.x._98jpg

Do NOT change any of the above filenames because that would cause a problem.

In iFamily For Tiger V2.101 you will be able to download more than 99 images of the same file name by dropping them into the Pictures pane.

Regards, Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Hi Enid

When testing the image downloads from Ancestry.com to iFamily I notice that (for a particular image):

A) If I drag and drop or cut and paste the image then the resolution provided by Ancestry.com is only 1852 x 2120

B) If I save the image to my computer from Ancestry.com then I get a much better image with resolution of 6500 x 8500

The first shipping document is very hard to read even when I enlarge it but the second image is easy to read.

Regards, Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by KevP

I've also noticed in some cases with Ancestry, some of the large images are deliberately broken into smaller fragments to stop copying. I just do a screen capture first and save the capture to the drive. This might also be causing problems.