Occupations

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Occupations

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:46 pm

guyholmes wrote:I originally used Family Tree Maker on the PC, and latterly MacFamilyTree once I had moved across to Mac. I found, once in a Gedcom form, the occupations that were originally presented quite nicely in FTM, suddenly macame an 'event' and whilst visable in MFT, were not correctly in the occupations field. I similar thing is occuring with iFamily, and I see there is both a field for 'Title / Occupation' and it can be entered as an event under the 'OCCU' subsection.

Where is the best place to enter an indviduals occupation ?? How do most people use these fields ? Should I enter the primary occupation in the Occupation field, and then if there is more specific information from a certificate or census, enter this data with a date as an event ? Thanks for any opinions.
Hi Guy,

Queen Elizabeth II has a title " Queen of England" and has an occupation " being the Queen of England" . I think she also has a quite few more titles and occupations like " Patron of the Girl Guides" , etc

The user can enter whatever is meaningful and descriptive in the " Title/Occupation" field.

The user can also enter each Title and Occupation as a separate event with a date that indicates when that status started. For instance QE II became a queen on her coronation day on 02-Jun-1953 so you can enter that as a TITL event or an OCCU event or an other event (EVEN) or all three.

Keith