Unrecognized GEDCOM Code

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unrecognized GEDCOM Code

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:05 am

Originally posted by Chris Knight

I am using version 1.202

I am delighted to be able to export a gedcom and use it with my web based software (phpGedView and The Next Generation) - super!

phpGedview complains slightly about an unrecognised code, present in all records and typified in this message " Unrecognized GEDCOM Code: _Comment @IC3@"

The stuff at the end relates to the record number I had in my file before importing it into iFamily and I certainly want to keep record numbers unchanged- as Keith knows however, I wonder what purpose it serves in a comment field and whether it is actually needed - at least in a gedcom export situation?

Chris

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Unrecognized GEDCOM Code

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:05 am

iFamily for Tiger, as with other Genealogy software uses some Custom Gedcom tags for data that is not defined in the list of standard Gedcom Tags. We try to avoid using Custom Gedcom Tags but the one you mention is for Comments that can be entered into iFamily for Tiger. This allows the user to transfer data from one iFamily database to another via a Gedcom file. Othere applications that cannot import the Comments field should simply ignore those line(s) in the Gedcom file and continue.

Keith