List of children in order

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Bee

List of children in order

Post by Bee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 pm

I am attempting to input data from a hand-written family tree which includes a list of 10 children, but no dates of birth, yet the order of the 10 children is correct ie: the 1st on the list is the eldest and so on.

How do I add them as a list of children so that they stay in birth order --given that I don't have birth dates yet?

And like the others I fear I am becoming addicted to iFamily!

:D

B

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:27 pm

Children are sorted by Birth date followed by Name. If none of the children has a birth date then the sort is in name sequence.

So, if none of the children has a birth date then, until you have found their birth dates, you can prefix each name with a numeric number, for instance I added three children in this order (with no birth dates)
1. John
3. William
2. Andrew

and they subsequently displayed in this order
1. John
2. Andrew
3. William

Alternatively fudge their birth dates by entering "about 1972" about "1974" and "about 1977" . You can enter the character c instead typing the word "about". If you fudge it then explain the fudge in the Notes field for the event using some comment like like "Date Estimated".

You can also use before and after as a date prefix if you have some of them that do have birth dates.

One more tip: Use no space or use a no-break space after the number so that iFamily doesn't think that the person's real first name is their middle name. To enter a no-break space hold down the Option key when you press the space bar. And I guess that if there are more than nine children then they will need to be numbered 01, 02, 03. ... to get them to display in the desired sequence.

Keith

Bee

Post by Bee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Keith Wilson wrote:
One more tip: Use no space or use a no-break space after the number so that iFamily doesn't think that the person's real first name is their middle name. To enter a no-break space hold down the Option key when you press the space bar. And I guess that if there are more than nine children then they will need to be numbered 01, 02, 03. ... to get them to display in the desired sequence.

Keith
Thanks K! I'd resorted to the numbering, but didn't know to do the no-break space (another cool little skill!) -- but it is still being snarky with some lists and getting them in the wrong order. So I am wondering if it's because I actually have an occasional Death Date (or Note with a date appended to some slots) -- and, given that, might the program somehow be reading an order into those death dates that is not really there?

I will play more with it tomorrow to see if I can get it correctly ordered as I am off to catch some shut-eye now.

2nd Query: Is there any way for me to change my ID in Profile and skip the surname -- and just use Bee? (I didn't realise I had myself going so public!)

:oops:

plange

Post by plange » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:42 pm

In this case a hidden "sort date" would be perfect. Easy to sort even in cases where some of the children have a birthdate.

Petter