Mistress vs Wife

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
BillW

Mistress vs Wife

Post by BillW » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm

If I know that a woman was the mistress, not the wife, of a man who was also married to another woman, is there a way to keep iFamily from designating her as his wife without changing the way it designates all relationships (i.e., husband/wife, spouse, partner, or no label?

I have just added a note in the Marriage Notes field explaining the relationship. Would that be the best solution?

jke98226

Re: Mistress vs Wife

Post by jke98226 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:36 am

Bill,

Would it suffice to use the "Associated Person" for the mistress? I'm sure it's not as descriptive as you would like, but it allows the connection without affecting other relationships.

Best regards,
Jon

arivalt

mistress

Post by arivalt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:05 pm

The mistresses have also caused me much trouble, particularly when they get several children to the same man. In such cases I had to accept the mistress as a wife, but add a marriage note "not married".
This seems to work ok, if you can see the note. But the note is not always visible in different tables or print-outs.

To make the problem more complex we frequently find a situation where we have a man A (e.g. a seaman) as father and B not married as mother have several children; when A and B finally marry, they get more children. Obviously the previous children were in most cases adopted, either at the marriage or later. But I couldn't decide how to exactly state these details in the family tree; in these cases I gave the previous children the same status as "correct children" in the marriage. In these cases I also added the explanations in the notes, which however are not visible in all contexts.

I guess this is not a problem of iFamily only; I found it in all other programs I have tested or used this far.

However: has anyone a better solution to this?

Anyhow, iFamily was the best one year ago when I tested different options - and right now I really like it very much.

Ari

curriouscat

Post by curriouscat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:35 am

The marriage issue is one of the most common question asked. One answer is on the topic 'Marriage Status' in the Help forum
http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/forums ... .php?t=168

Basically, if the people did not marry, do not record a marriage event. They may have had 20 kids and never had a 'marriage event'. The kids still belong to the relationship. iFamily, rightly, does not attempt to distinguish children born only after an marriage event.
We do live in a complex world. The children of a relationship are its children, regardless of marriage status or marriage events.