iFamily on a USB flash drive

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
favell44

iFamily on a USB flash drive

Post by favell44 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:39 am

I seem to remember a reference to storing the iFamily data on a flash drive but a (quick) search failed to find it. Clearly it would be an advantage in porting the data between different Macs (with appropriately careful synchronisation) and, in my case, it would free up space on my aging G4 iBook.
I plan to get a new Mini and a screen if they come up with the goods at Macworld, and keep the iBook for portability. However, a couple of questions.
Firstly, will both machines run iFamily compatibly? The iBook has Tiger while the Mini will have Leopard (and, ultimately, Snow Leopard)?
Secondly, has anyone kept the primary data for iFamily on a flash drive for reasons similar to my proposed use? I would be interested to hear from such a person.
Thirdly, are flash drives reliable enough? I have had data losses on flash drives before. I do, however, frequently back everything up to two external drives.
Looking forward to your replies, and a Happy New Year to all iFamily users (and why wouldn't you be happy, being users of such fabulous software as iFamily?)
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Tom

RE: iFamily on a USB flash drive

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:09 pm

I've copied my entire iFamily folder to a flash drive for various reasons without incident. There is some discussion of this on the old forum at least. Keith had no problem with registered users installing iFamily on more than one computer so when running iFamily you should be able to open an iFamilydata folder no matter where it resides.

With regard to Tiger and Leopard, I believe there are some caveats. While iFamily works with both, the implementation of Leopard makes certain features available not in Tiger simply because of the improvements in the new operating system; database features for example, which Keith outlined in a forum post. The data should be fine on both Tiger and Leopard if you do not import as a GEDCOM file from Tiger to Leopard. I believe Keith stated that importing the database into iFamily running on Leopard was necessary to take full advantage of Leopard's improved capabilities. If you don't do the import as I've mentioned above, the data will remain as it was created under Tiger and will run fine under Leopard.

I should add that I do not use Leopard on any of my Macs so someone who does will have to verify this. Keith and I had some exchanges regarding iFamily maintaining full compatibility with Tiger as Leopard was nearing release. I felt that Apple rushed to release Leopard and I still maintain that point of view although Keith insisted that he had not experienced any difficulty with Leopard. There are too many boards and forums which point to the contrary, however, and I will probably wait for Snow Leopard to be released before I upgrade my OS.

As to the reliability of media, nearly everyone has different experiences, criteria for judging, and preferences for using. If you maintain good backup practices then you will lessen the headaches with recovery when your drive crashes, etc. Have a plan and stick to it because sometime your drive will crash or your flash stick will simply be unreadable, etc.

I hope this was helpful.
Tom

favell44

Post by favell44 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Tom, thank you for your comprehensive and helpful reply. All I have to do now is wait for the new product releases and the release of Snow Leopard. Who knows, perhaps I will be able to use something other than the iBook for portability; an iPod Touch, perhaps, or an Apple netbook if such is forthcoming.
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

seejayess

Post by seejayess » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Another possibility is to use a "Cloud" backup and sync. site such as Dropbox.
The Dropbox software is applied to both machines (as many as you like) and the files are drag/dropped into the Dropbox window. All participating computers are automatically updated and, more importantly, the files also reside on the free 2Gb storage area online. All areas are password protected, have a look here
https://www.getdropbox.com/install
also this thread - http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=575
Chris Retired & Reborn
Website

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:43 pm

I would read the privacy agreement very carefully before I would start opening up my computer to any organization, especially where it concerns a free service. The premium or for pay service may offer better protections. Ultimately data loss and or recovery is the responsibility of the individual as the company clearly states that in the privacy agreement. There are options that determine what is shared with other dropbox users and the public so it would behoove one to set the preferences and information accordingly.

Another option is to open a Google mail account and generate a gedcom file periodically, attach it to an email, and send it to the Google email account. The storage is free, 10 gigs, I believe. I have my blog set to backup automatically and to email the backup to my account at Google. Just some addition options to consider.
Tom

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 pm

An minor error has been reported while using iFamily on a flash drive which should be kept in mind.

The autosave functionality will generate an error when your USB flash disk is full stating:

"Reason = prepareForSave:: save for .... is already in progress"

Simply make some more room on the flash drive or migrate the databases back to your desktop if it now exceeds the size of your drive.