Bulk loading

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
himself

Bulk loading

Post by himself » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Is there a way to bulk load data..... input comma delimitated file into blank (new) database

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 am

Imports to iFamily are done using the Gedcom 5.5 format. iFamily uses this format exclusively to ensure your databases have integrity. Does anyone on this forum know of a good free conversion software for turning csv&#39s into basic Gedcom&#39s?

For information on how to import Gedcoms into iFamily please refer to this topic:

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=366

NigelRichman

.csv imports

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 am

My search with google only identified gedcom to csv converters.

The real problem is to define the standard that the csv file holds the data and to try to map that into the relationships. Hence the GEDCOM standard.

If the csv file was a list of names then I would imagine that it would be possible to load the names in for later work but I do not expect that is what was being requested.

Perhaps &#39himself&#39 can provide more information about the data source to help Warwick determine what is possible.

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Especially useful would be the number and type of column that you have on your CSV. Is it just First Names and Family Names or does it include birthdates, deathdates, marriages and notes columns along with famillial and next of kin relationships.

himself

bulk loading

Post by himself » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Yes I understand that the "standard" / "normal" way to input data into a genealogy program is via GEDCOM.

What i was trying to ask is, can I import into a blank copy of the iFamily DB from a CVS file. You define the file structure, I will modify the CVS to comply. With many versions of data, I do NOT expect an automatic conversion program to exist, or be easy to develop. I would use "vi", "sed", and "awk" to convert the provided CVS into the proper field structure.

At the present time I do NOT have access to the bulk data, but if there is a way to import it, then I will get access.

Hopefully I cleared up what I was asking