How do I send my tree to someone in Aussie on a PC?

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
RogerGreen

How do I send my tree to someone in Aussie on a PC?

Post by RogerGreen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi all,
I have constructed my tree in iFamily and wish to send it to my cousin in Australia who is interested but doesn&#39t have any genealogical apps so I can&#39t send him a gedcom. How would I send him a copy to view on his PC so that he can view all the elements and pictures etc? Furthermore is it possible to send him just one side of my family that concerns him and me? I would like to construct a website with it all on for him to view but it all sounds very complicated! Is it that difficult and is there a guide how to do it? Do I have to subscribe to a hosting service to achieve this?
A little help please. :roll:
Thanks.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Roger,

The best way to send your cousin your data is as a PDF file. Although there is no way to send your whole database in one diagram you are able to send Ancestors and Descendants views as PDFs. (Click on the "A" and "D" buttons at the top of the iFamily window to create a view for the current focal person. Then click on Print as PDF.)

Using the options you can specify how many generations are displayed on your diagram. You can find the resulting files in in the Users/Username/iFamilyData/Reports directory.

By changing the focal person whose view you are generating you are able to show only one side of your tree or the other.

Uploading your data to a website is, as you say, fraught with potential mistakes. If this tree is the only thing you want to display on your website then the Export as HTML menu option will give you a packet of files ready for upload. iFamily can integrate with Apple&#39s MobileMe platform to place the files in your Mac account for you and this is often preferable to paying ICANN for a dedicated site for this purpose. Some examples are contained in the Generating Web Pages Forum. Please read some of the entries then email me any further questions you may have.

alid62

re: How do I send my tree to someone in Aussie on a PC?

Post by alid62 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Another alternative would be to use the "generate html" option, but then burn the results to a cd and post it snail mail. Your cousin will then be able to explore the data on his own machine without worrying about uploading etc. If that&#39s accompanied by pdfs of the trees as Warwick describes, then he&#39s got pretty much everything.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks Alid, Burning to CD is a great idea, i&#39d never think of using the post.

(Generating HTML webpage sets can often run up to around 30MB or more so emailing them in a zip is not really practical yet.)

himself

sending info

Post by himself » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:03 pm

If you cousin down under has access to the internet, have them down load "PAF". Then you can send them a copy of your GEDCOM