end of the line

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
hruben

end of the line

Post by hruben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 am

I&#39m a newby here, so forgive me if the answer to this is "obvious."

I&#39d like to see something to denote "end of the line."

When children have no issue, I know I can insert "none" in the name field, but then you would need a sex designation of NONE or perhaps simply a dash added to the M/F field (which is not possible to enter) . Now, If I enter "none" it shows as son/daughter in the generated pdf. Using "PDF Pen" I can edit it manually, but that&#39s an awkward workaround.

Or better, maybe there could be a check box between "and had the following children" and the grid saying:

[ ] No Issue or No Children. and another, [ ] Issue unknown, which would add that information under the person&#39s name in the view.

I have 2 relatives that it&#39s suspected that each had 3 children. How to show that??

Any help here??

Perhaps I&#39ve missed that feature -- I&#39m still working my way through the application.

This is valuable data, because it shows conclusively that the reason the data stops is not because there is information missing. Along the same line, something to show that data is missing would be handy as well.

So you would have son, daughter, no issue and UNKNOWN/MISSING in the grid where children are shown.

daj

Re: end of the line

Post by daj » Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 am

hruben wrote:
I&#39d like to see something to denote "end of the line."
What about adding an Event? I add an event dated the date of their death, with an event type of "Description&#39. In this I note something like &#39Bachelor&#39 if he never married or &#39No children at death&#39.

hib

Re: end of the line

Post by hib » Thu May 14, 2009 2:15 pm

hruben wrote: I have 2 relatives that it&#39s suspected that each had 3 children. How to show that??

Any help here??
I have been using a beta version that Keith was working on before he died that allowed one to add a measure (value) of certainty for an event such as a child being connected to a parent. Thus, you could add the probability of .2 if you were not very certain or .9 if quite certain or 1.0 if absolutely certain. I am hoping that Warwick is maintaining this in the next release since it is a very nice feature.

Al
Al

daj

Post by daj » Thu May 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Ok, that is one way of doing it -- I did not appreciate from your post that you were on a beta verion with a new feature.

I&#39ve seen it done on another piece of software, but I found it a little confusing. One would have thought that either you are certain, uncertain, or &#39requires more investigation&#39 so not sure why a scale of 1 to 10 would be needed.

Anyway, it&#39s probably just how my tiny mind works - LOL

I currently put a note in the comments to say I have exhausted my research, etc

Maybe once the &#39measuring system&#39 is released I can get a better grip of it.

hruben

Post by hruben » Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 pm

daj wrote:Anyway, it&#39s probably just how my tiny mind works - LOL

I currently put a note in the comments to say I have exhausted my research, etc
That&#39s what I ended up doing. The measuring system (beta) isn&#39t much value to me. At any rate, I&#39ve completed my main object, have been in contact with a lot of relatives I didn&#39t know existed.