Add Parents to existing entry

Post by geraldo369 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 am

How do I add a parent to an existing entry? :(
geraldo

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 am

Hi geraldo,

Two methods exist to add a parent to an existing entry.

The First, and most straightforward, is done by directly typing the name of the parent onto the context diagram. This entry will create a new person in the database with the specified relationship.

The "Ghost boxes on the context diagram can be clicked on, they will then change into a text entry box where you are required to write the name of a person and their gender separated by a comma. M and F will be autofilled for mother and father.
ImageImage

Press the return Key within the text field and a pop up for the AddParentDialog will appear where you can add further details such as birth/death dates, the nature of the relationship (Natural/Step/Adopted), and brief notes. By later promoting the new entry to a focal person you will be able to fill out their database record more thoroughly.

The second method is when you wish to add a parent who is pre-existing in your database. by right click (or control-click) on the focal person and selecting the Menu option as shown below, a list of probable parents will be shown - this is determined by the birthdate of the identities in your database, if the person you are trying to add has not had a birthdate added they will not appear in the list. Similarly, if the birthdate is deemed as "improbable" then that person will also not be shown. (The default age at which a parent is considered to have been capable siring is between 18 and 45 years old, this can be changed on the resulting dialog if you wish to widen your age bracket.)

If you later wish to change the relationship between a parent and child, invoking the relationship dialog by clicking on the circle mid way between the two identities will allow you to do so.

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:57 am

Luv the sample name Warwick :D
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

danckwerts

Adding existing person as a parent

Post by danckwerts » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:34 am

When I add an existing person as a parent, this seems to work. The relationship is shown on the tree(s). The relationship also shows up in the child&#39s ancestor chart and the parent&#39s descendant chart. However, the newly attached child does not show up in the parent&#39s list of children under &#39Family&#39 or the number of children which that person had. Closing and re-opening the program makes no difference. Is this a bug? Does it matter? I find it slightly unnerving.

iFamily 2.511 Mac OS 10.6.4
Peter Danckwerts