Snow Leopard

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Tom

Snow Leopard

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 pm

In what way/ways if any will the release of Snow Leopard effect iFamily?

And will iFamily continue to follow the cat naming convention that Apple has employed or will it settle into a simple less OS dependent naming convention, i.e., iFamily?

Just curious.
Tom

alid62

Snow Leopard

Post by alid62 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

... don&#39t forget that some of us (for good reasons, honestly) are still just Tigers, please don&#39t leave us behind (or if you must lots of warning please!!!).

jim

Post by jim » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm

I worry that Apple will eventually give us an OS that won&#39t run iFamily. That would be a shame.

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 pm

jim wrote:Is anybody managing this software now? I haven&#39t seen any announcements or updates since Keith passed away. I worry that Apple will eventually give us an OS that won&#39t run iFamily. That would be a shame.
I agree, it would be nice to have an update of iFamily, but I don&#39t think it would be a shame if the software wont run properly on a new OS - it would be a disaster!!
By the very few posts published on the Forum, it can be seen how user friendly iFamily is.

Come on Warwick, we know how busy you are, but let us have V2.506 at least :)
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:54 am

I don&#39t forsee any problems with the Snow Leopard Operating system, apple made some changes to the way CoreData stores it&#39s information in the Leopard operating system but this new OS seems to be focussing on optimization and reducing the footprint of their own products. This will improve the speed of apps like Mail and Safari and make installing Snow leopard take 15mins instead of the current 1hr for Leopard.

I would love to drop the "for Leopard" from the title of the program, but cybersquatters are on www.ifamily.com Can you believe that some industrious squatter recently registered www.ifamilyforleopard.com.hk The trademark on iFamily is held by a group that made a nothing app for facebook. I will keep trying to resolve this.

I have an iFamily V3.000 from July 2008, it does not run on Tiger.

With regards to the new version, working with Keiths code is quite pleasant as it is very well structured, but I have replaced the version number in 2 places within the code and now find there is a third occurrence.

My work has banned me for the week because of Flu symptoms, I will rebuild what I have with a view to releasing it.

alid62

Post by alid62 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks for the update Warwick, its really good to know Keith&#39s work carries on.

As version 3.000 coming in July won&#39t work on Tiger, will there be anything between v. 2.503 (what I have now) and the new release that will? Also will files saved in the new version be backwards compatible to older releases?

Regards

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Alid,

The V3.000 of iFamily was marked July 2008, (not 2009), it was written when Apple released Leopard and repaired the errors in their data mangaement utilities. It was not released because many of our customers still use Tiger and we will not leave any user behind, not without a business plan to retain the functionality.

Please see this topic for more on Keiths take on this:
http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=361

Since Keith left 8 different versions of the data model which support iFamily, (and only the 8th one is Leopard specific), I will continue compiling with Versions 6 and 7 of Keiths data model built upon the 10.4 platform. (I don&#39t yet understand the intricacies of the differences so will not attempt to fiddle with it. The answers will be in his email archives when I need to tackle it.)

You may be seeing some of the pitfalls of my releasing an update while I am still learning where not to tread. I think have adequate knowledge now to avoid breaking iFamily when I do so. (This would be "a disaster" which would be hard to recover from.).

This gave me an idea, I searched the emails for Snow Leopard to see if there was anything there, I only got this (thanks Tom :) ):
http://tomarie.tzo.com/wp/2008/06/26/feline-felicity/

alid62

Post by alid62 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:28 am

Warwick,

Thanks for the speedy answer. Yes, I see now I misunderstood your previous post, the reassurance for Tiger users is most welcome. I agree that any new upgrade needs to be robust before it ventures out in the wild, and it is very difficult to pick up someone else&#39s creation when it&#39s been so personal.

Good luck (and I&#39ll read the post properly next time!).

kwheaton

Thank you for your support

Post by kwheaton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:57 am

Warwick,
This is my first post and I can&#39t tell you how happy I am with the software so far. And thanks again for answering my question.

When I migrated to MAC recently the only software I was worried about was a replacement for Family Tree Maker. Ifamiliy&#39s interface is much better and more beautiful.

I am delighted to hear that no problems are anticipated with snow leopard.
I will certainly spread the word.

Backtomyroots

Post by Backtomyroots » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Warwick,

I too am happy to hear that you are continuing to develop Ifamily. I recently went out and bought the new 13" Mac Pro just so I could use Ifamilyforleopard away from the desktop Mac I have as I simply prefer it to all other genealogy programmes on the Windows platform or Mac come to that.

David : :D

Backtomyroots

Post by Backtomyroots » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Warwick

Just installed "Snow Leopard" and it seems that Ifamily won&#39t boot up. Just say "Quit unexpectedly" Hoping this is an easy fix for you?

Dave

Marcella Moore

Post by Marcella Moore » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:58 am

Backtomyroots wrote:Hi Warwick

Just installed "Snow Leopard" and it seems that Ifamily won&#39t boot up. Just say "Quit unexpectedly" Hoping this is an easy fix for you?

Dave
iFamily will not boot up for me after "Snow Leopard" install. I get the same message as above. Now I am wondering what happened to my saved files? I&#39m hoping there will be a work around. iFamily is a wonderful application, so easy to use up until now :shock:
Marcella

seejayess

Post by seejayess » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Regarding Snow Leopard Problems see here http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/
Chris Retired & Reborn
Website

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Good thinking seejayess! :wink:
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 pm