Sync Files

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Billj

Sync Files

Post by Billj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 am

Hi all,
I&#39m new to iFamily, and am really enjoying it. I was especially pleased that they encourage adding more than one computer.
I do most of my work on the desktop, but I would like to take my laptop to places and do research. Syncing both computers would be a problem.
My Solution:
Using "Dropbox", I moved the .FtkSgl file in there, and double clicked to set it as the default location. On the Laptop, I double clicked it in Dropbox, and opened iFamily. Seems to work great. I can see "Dropbox" syncing when I make changes on either computer.
You might want to try it.
Bill

Tom

Sync Files

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I&#39m assuming you are not referring to the drop box feature which comes with OS X but rather the online storage. Does this mean that one has to be online when using iFamily or can one update one&#39s version of iFamily on one&#39s laptop and then sync the desktop via dropbox?
Tom

Billj

sync Files

Post by Billj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Tom,
DropBox, the on line application, installs a dropbox folder on each Mac locally.
You can work out of it off line, and then when you go online, it automatically sync&#39s.
Bill

jim

Re: sync Files

Post by jim » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Billj wrote:Tom,
DropBox, the on line application, installs a dropbox folder on each Mac locally.
You can work out of it off line, and then when you go online, it automatically sync&#39s.
Bill
Be very careful. Should you work on your database on one computer while the other is offline, then go to the other computer and start working, your oldest version can become the active database or you can get what DropBox calls a "Conflicted File" which is very difficult to straighten out.