ifamily Freeziing

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
Tom

ifamily Freeziing

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:23 pm

As I&#39ve entered more data, I&#39ve encountered instances when iFamily has become unstable, it simply freezes. The program has nearly all options grayed out. This occurs almost exclusively when entering or attempting to access sources. Possible database corruption? Force Quit was the only way to exit iFamily. The data seemed to be intact when I restarted iFamily but now I am concerned that this may indicate a deeper problem. I don&#39t know if there is any option to rebuild the database. Way back when in the early days of flat file databases we use to run rebuild programs to move the deleted records to the end of the file and rewrite the records appropriately, effectively refreshing the database, etc.--just a thought. My iMac is maxed out with 4 gig of ram and there is no problem with HD space. The database file is 19 meg and my pictures folder is 413 meg--none of this seems extraordinary. Has anyone else encountered any instances of iFamily freezing?
Tom

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:04 pm

iFamily is one of the most stable pieces of like software I have encountered, so it appears as if something in your system is causing it to crash.
It&#39s assumed that you have done the normal things like repairing Permissions from your original system disks (ie: Starting your machine from them by holding the C key down and using Utilities/Disk Utility) - or perhaps for something that goes a bit deeper, use &#39Disk Warrior&#39 to reorganise your Directories.
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Tom

iFamily Freezing

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I wasn&#39t attacking iFamily but merely reporting a problem that I encountered and asking if others have had a similar experience. I have quite a bit of experience with computers both PC&#39s, Macs, as well as some Unix systems, and was a programmer for quite some time. I keep my Macs up to date, backed-up, and run various maintenance programs regularly.

I can appreciate your zeal for iFamily. I share much of it myself, so I was quite surprised by the three instances of instability that I encountered,only one of which was on my PPC, iBook G4. I am only a messenger, the content of the message, unfortunately, remains the same.
Tom

Geordielass

Post by Geordielass » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Tom

I keep my family tree on a separate HD - its currently at 593 MB and the pictures are 3.82GB - I&#39ve got no concerns about the stability of iFamily and yes I have experienced freezing and regular occurrences of the &#39sbd&#39 - I just sit back and let it get on with itself - it usually sorts itself out after a few minutes if not I close iFamily and go have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine depending on the time of day

I&#39ve also had problems with sources when I used the active source option and then changed the active source all my menu options greyed out and the only way to quit was to force quit so I don&#39t use the active source option any more! I just enter my sources as I go along picking from the source menu.
Enid
Expat Geordie researching: Atkinson; Burn; Archer & Thompson - Dunston & Whickham.
Bell; Shanks & Fawcett - South Shields & Usworth Co. Durham;
Walmsley- Bolton Lancs & Usworth Co.Durham);
Donnelly - Armagh & Whickham