German Translation of iFamily for Leopard

General discussion of iFamily for Leopard and Genealogy
bauschaffender

German Translation of iFamily for Leopard

Post by bauschaffender » Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello, I think the program is so good, that it should be translated for a easier use in not english spoken countrys.

Is someone other (without me) interested in a german translation? Is the developer interested on it, when someone other do it? I could try it to do.

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Hallo deutschsprachige Nutzer,

der Einfachheit halber mal die Mitteilung in deutsch. Habe die übersetzbaren und übersetzten Teile Anfang September an den Programmerben gesandt, wo sie eingearbeitet werden sollten. Die Programmoberfläche ist leider nicht komplett getrennt aufgebaut, so dass einige Wörter, Sätze und Textteile noch nicht übersetzt werden konnten. Hier muss ich auf Warwick warten.

Der übersetzte Teil funktioniert soweit und bei Bedarf kann ich die einfach ins Programmpaket einzufügenden Dateien gern per Mail zusenden. Vielleicht will ja jemand mal drüberschauen, ob es so verständlich ist ...

Grüße bauschaffender
Last edited by bauschaffender on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:26 am

Ok, I don&#39t quite understand what you wrote, (however translate.google.com is awesome). With the help of a customer we have translated the interfaces and dialogues to German. (Using iLocalize). Currently said customer is waiting for me to supply a list of 600 or so strings that were hard-coded. (mostly contextual help, I will get back to you soon Martin.).

I would welcome assistance to process these strings and will be in touch when they are ready. (I&#39ll construct an internationalization php interface on this website.) Thank you for your interest.

As a note beside, currently the download size of iFamily is 10MB... 5MB is the example royal family tree, 2.5MB is code, and 2.5MB are the forms. (our updates do not include the example database and amount to 5MB). Adding a German translation in the general download will add another 2.5MB, which will add up regarding hosting purposes. What are our customers thoughts on this, especially if we have more than 1 translation. (ie: if there are potentially 5 languages, the size will be 20MB already).

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Sorry for my german posting. It should be only an short information for the german spoken users of iFamily. I&#39m looking for a control of the translation.

Warwick, thank you very much for your quick response. I think the "problem" with the download size is with 20, 30 or 40 mb not too big with the fast internet and the low cost hosting offers with all traffic include today. For instance MacFamilyTree/MacStammbaum have more than 60 mb with every update ... Other possibility would be to split the program and the language files. The standard is english and the users have to download seperately the other language files as a zip file.

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi, under the following link I offer the last version of my german translation (without the hard-coded part) for interested german spoken users of iFamily (V2.511):

A new version with the german translation inside is available. The download link will not work now. For the actually translation see below.

Zur Installation unter Mac OS X 10.6. muss der entpackte Ordner German.lproj in das Programm-Paket eingefügt werden. Aber das geht ganz einfach. Öffnet das Paket des iFamily-Programms mit Ctrl-Klick/Rechtsklick auf das Programm-Symbol im Ordner Programme und Paketinhalt anzeigen, öffnet den Ordner Contents/Resources und kopiere den Ordner German.lproj in den Resources-Ordner. Zum Deaktivieren: einfach vorübergehend herausnehmen, dann ist das Programm wieder Original-Englisch.

Have fun ... actually I changed to the server based software TNG.

Martin
Last edited by bauschaffender on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Germans,

Thank you for the interface elements bauschaffender, I appreciate the work that has gone into this.

I can not yet recommend using the above translated nib files. There are numerous instances of the codebase identifying which button has been pressed by checking the button text. Although I have now worked through numerous files and externalised the textual components it is a slow process and will yet be some time to complete.

Should you choose to trial the above files, please report any misbehaviours or crashes to support@ifamilyforleopard.com

The Apple App store will not accept programs with internalized language specific text so this job has increased in priority recently.

Danke,
Warwick.

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks Warwick,

with the original program and also with the translated files inside never I had any crash. It works fine.

The link to the zip file will work up to the next version. If someone have a question or found an error inside of the translation, please write a pm to me.

Martin

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Revisiting the work I have done so far it looks like the only examples I have come up with so far for label text's that are altered from the code are the Partner/Spouse/Husband-Wife labels on the main family tab.

All other examples I have come across so far are related to Buttons on the dialogs which we have not yet translated. I will have a better picture of this once I have completed visually inspecting the 500 files.

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi, in the new version of ifamily I found some new words and phrases to translate. Up to the program integration you will find my german translation here:

A new version with the german translation inside is available. The download link will not work now. For the actually translation see below.

The way to install is the same as above.

Regards from Germany
Martin
Last edited by bauschaffender on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi, in the new version of ifamily I found two phrases to translate. Up to the program integration you will find my german translation here:

A new version with the german translation inside is available. Therefore the download link is obsolete. The last translated version was v2.526.

Regards from Germany
Martin